Black Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw some black mystery snails in Petsmart, and they were so cool looking but absolutely huge. Does anyone have any of these? Are they good at eating algae and what not? How big do they get? Are they good with community fish? Will they fit in a 75 gal? ::snicker:: They were really large, but cool. I have a new snail passion these days after getting my other two. They are so ugly, I can't stop looking at them.

I have never seen the black mystery snails. I used to have a yellow one though. They are not very good at cleaning algea, they just tend to creep around the tank and eat every bit of vegging matter they can. Forget about a planted tank with one of these guys. Mine ate lettuce like wildfire! Oh and those algea waffers you put in for your bottom feeders, yah watch out these guys will sit on top of them and eat them all up. They are really neat snails to watch but I found mine more of a nuissance than it was worth. Oh and the buggers just keep getting bigger as well.

I've absolutely loved the black mystery snails (I believe they're really apple snails) I've had.

I have used them in the past as my PRIMARY algae control, especially in smaller tanks. They won't bother any fish, most fish will leave them alone (Due to their size, they can even avoid some fish that traditionally slaughter snails), and never hurt in of my plants.

I had a major algae outbreak in my 29 gallon a few months back. I picked up two of these guys and it was spotless two weeks later. No other algae eaters in the tank. I would NOT suggest them for tanks under 20 gallons though, as they may not find enough food.

I also have a big black snail in my 55 gallon and he is super cool. He is my primary source for algae control and keeps it pretty clean. I only put a pad to the glass about once a month and that is just for a few minor spots he can't get to (behind the draw tube & heater, etc). He seems to leave my plants alone MORE than my angels who apparently like to just pull at the plants for fun :roll:

Also, I have not had any baby snails yet and I have had him for at least 6 months now. So, I am not sure if he is just not into kids or if he is waiting to settle down before having any. ;) :D

I have 6 snails in my 29gal, 3 black mysteries and 2 yellows mysteries.

Every other day I just drop 3 of 4 algae wafers in the tanks for the snails, usually breaking them in half so everyone gets their share.

I did not buy them for algae control, I'm just an invert freak. I love my inverts more than fish, I only keep fish cause the tanks are too empty with just inverts :lol: :lol:

And my guys do keep the algea undercontroll, or should I saw prevent it from spreading. I have Some algae in my tanks, but I try to maintain some for my algae eatng critters, even tho I do suppliment with algae waffers.

Heck, my snails love shrimp pellets to, and I even had a snail snatch a piece of flake food that floated his way while he hung out at the surface of the water.

I have a really huge black mystery snail in my 55 gal. He currently resides in my 10 gal. because something laid eggs all over my glass and I don't want him to eat them. Anyways, other fish don't bother it and they are super cool to watch! And boy do the eat! The thing basically cleaned my 10 gal in 2 days! There a great thing to have and you seem to have a big enough tank! So go for it! :lol:

I got one. :) He's gobbling up the crud in my 10 gal while I patiently wait to set up my 75 gal correctly. Once I get it going and established I'll move him over there with my danios and golden algae eater. Going to have to rely on wafers for food for a while though until the tank has a chance to create some gunk for him to eat.

My parents talk about how ugly my snails are - and they are ugly. But they are so ugly I can't stop watching them. They fascinate me, perhaps more than the fish! LOL I've always got to look to see what the snails are up to. And they don't move slow either! These guys can book it from one end of a tank to another!

I have a monster blue mystery snail. My Gold was eaten by the loaches.
He eats the algae on the glass most of all. I have never seen him on any plants except the bamboo. no damage though.

He can't control a tank the size of the new one, but he was helping improve the 18 gallon. just too late to avoid a good gravel cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom