Bleach dipping plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I collected some duck weed from a pond and I wanted to know how to bleach dip it to kill of all the possible parasites and stuff that's in them

I believe you want a water to bleach ratio of about 20:1 and just dip them for around 10 seconds.
I'll add that I did this to some Golden Nesae (Nesaea pedicellata) to treat some persistent green algae and it ended up killing. I use hydrogen peroxide now... although other than snails there's not a whole lot that's going to get introduced to your tank via plants.

I just think that different plants might react differently to the bleach dip. Ive never had duckweed or any plant that I didnt purchase from a store though, so maybe bleach would be fine. I suppose if it did die, then you could just go back to the pond and get some more.

All the plants suffer from all the dips. The safest is the potassium permanganate ( Buyable at Amazon).

I have had snails live through all 3 dips done sequentially. peroxide dip, followed by Clorox dip ( 19 H2O: 1 Clorox), followed by Potassium Permanganate dip. ( if doing sequential dips rinse very well between because of reaction between the chemicals )

Also, after the dip or dips, you should QT the plants for 45 days to allow any surviving eggs to hatch. ( the eggs are what survived the 3 sequential dips on my plants. )

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

All the plants suffer from all the dips. The safest is the potassium permanganate ( Buyable at Amazon).

I have had snails live through all 3 dips done sequentially. peroxide dip, followed by Clorox dip ( 19 H2O: 1 Clorox), followed by Potassium Permanganate dip. ( if doing sequential dips rinse very well between because of reaction between the chemicals )

Also, after the dip or dips, you should QT the plants for 45 days to allow any surviving eggs to hatch. ( the eggs are what survived the 3 sequential dips on my plants. )

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Ok that sounds good I'll try that because I dipped them in the peroxide and the little bugs in them didn't die

Back
Top Bottom