Blood Parrot and Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidtcb1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been helping a friend set up his new 90 gallon tank. Once cycled, he decided on a large blood parrot and smaller Oscar as the tanks main two inhabitants. The Oscar has been growing like crazy and held his own for the first several weeks. In recent days, the parrot has become very dominant and bullies the Oscar. The oscar has not eaten in a few days and is showing signs of stress - a "nick" out of its side, pale, etc. Should the parrot be removed until the Oscar grows closer to the size of the parrot or be removed all together? I've got two blood parrots in my tank and they are very docile and not bullies at all and it surprises me that this one is being this dominant.

They should probably be separated.

My blood parrot is aggressive, but my other inhabitants can put up with him.

It is hit or miss with BPs. I had 2 in the 150 and they were very docile. I had 4 very small juvi's growing out in the 29 gal and they were aggressive.

I'd separate them. Oscars are pretty mild-mannered; even if the two fish were the same size, the BP would probably still be picking on the oscar.

agreed with the other people... let the oscar grow in the 90... then when he establishes his territory and gets bigger... try to add back the bp.... i think it would be a better chance for the match....you can also try adding other fish in there so that the oscar wont be singled out...

Back
Top Bottom