Blue Ram, White Spot On Lip. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trickerie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I woke up this morning, fed my tank and noticed one of my rams had a white spot on his lip. This was NOT there last night during feeding. I took some pictures as best I could:

Heres a before picture:

What exactly is this? What should I do to treat it. Thank you!!!

Your Cichlid

Hello Trick...

Looks like a small injury. Likely happened if the fish bumped into something that may be a little sharp in your tank. It really looks minor. I'd do a good water change. Change out a little more than usual and drop a little minced garlic into the water. Garlic is a natural antibotic and a very good nutrient source. I feed it to my fish every once in a while as a treat.

Keep the water very clean to avoid any build up in bacteria and your cichlid should be fine.

I'm not a fish health professional, just know a little bit about dealing with fish and tank issues naturally.

B

I'm hoping it's just a small injury as well. I just did around a 30% water change so hopefully he will be ok

Is there a possibility it could be a fungus or other type of growth?

Your Cichlid

I'm hoping it's just a small injury as well. I just did around a 30% water change so hopefully he will be ok

Is there a possibility it could be a fungus or other type of growth?

Hello again T...

I don't believe a fungus will grow away from the skin and a harmful growth wouldn't develope overnight. If you've kept up on your tank maintenance duties, then the fish is more than healthy enough and this injury will heal pretty quickly.

Keep up on on the water changes every week or so and as long as you're getting the equipment out for a water change, then take a few more minutes and remove a little more than 30 percent. The more you change it and the more often, the healthier your fish will be.

B

I'm very concerned that its something like columnaris or a type of fungus. Hes not eating, hanging near the top of the tank (not like him). What should I do?

Should I add some salt to my tank? I have Melafix as well. I can't really quarantine him to a hospital tank. I have extra tanks, but none are set up... :|

Your Cichlid

I'm very concerned that its something like columnaris or a type of fungus. Hes not eating, hanging near the top of the tank (not like him). What should I do?

Should I add some salt to my tank? I have Melafix as well. I can't really quarantine him to a hospital tank. I have extra tanks, but none are set up... :|

Hello T...

When fish are ailing or otherwise off their feeding habits, a large water change will help. It will reduce any bacteria or other harmful substances that might in the tank water. Large water changes are usually the best remedy.

I wouldn't put any chemicals into the tank water. Unless, you have experience in fish biology, you don't know what's wrong with your fish and putting stuff in the water may stress all the fish in the tank and chemicals can kill the good bacteria.

If you want to put something in the tank, then you can add a little standard aquarium salt, not table salt, to your replacement water. I would dose no more than a heaping teaspoon full for every 5 gallons of your new water. More than that can damage any aquatic plants you have in there. The salt will boost the fish's immune system and most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the water.

Don't panic, you're flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank and the salt will also have a calming affect on the fish and helps them breath more easily. You're keeping the water pure and that's the most important thing for your fish.

B

Well my fears were true. It is columnaris. I woke this morning to see his lips being huge, white, and covered in fuzz. I immediately removed him from the main tank and put him in another container with some air. I treated the water and added some salt and copper safe for secondary infections. However, I dont know what to do about the columnaris...

Your Cichlid

Well my fears were true. It is columnaris. I woke this morning to see his lips being huge, white, and covered in fuzz. I immediately removed him from the main tank and put him in another container with some air. I treated the water and added some salt and copper safe for secondary infections. However, I dont know what to do about the columnaris...

Hello Trickerie...

I don't know the situation with the quarantine tank, but if you're certain of the infection, then there a couple of things to add to your "to do" list. You're changing the water, so up it to half the tank volume every day or two. You can increase the salt to a tablespoon for every 5 gallons of new water, but check on your plants, if you have some. Aquatic plants aren't tolerant of a lot of salt.

Start vacuuming the gravel where possible. You need to take care around your plants, you don't want to damage the roots. Also, remove any carbon medium you have in your filtration equipment. If you're putting meds into the water, they won't be as effective with the carbon in there.

Good luck!

B

Back
Top Bottom