Bolivian Ram strikes again, the last straw...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, for the las few months I have had a few issues with my Albino Cory's fins being chewed off. I could've figure out who was behind this ago I asked on the forum and people seemed to think it was my Bolivian Ram. I've never seen him actively ripping fins off of my fish but he has chased some of my fish around a bit. Nothing I thought was cause for concern. Now, however, I think I have found the problem.

Yesterday, I came in my room to find my BN Pleco had a chunk taken out of his tail fin. I was horrified! My poor Pleco had gorgeous fins too. And the only fish that could have done it would be my Ram. I got to wonder about why he would be doing this and it suddenly hit me. Most of my fish are bottom dwellers. I have 4 Cory cats, a BN Pleco and my ram in my 20g tank. I knew it was a bit overstocked but I never thought about there being too many bottom dwellers. Poor guy, he's probably just mad he had to share space. I am really sad but I am going to do what is best for my fish and see if my LFS will take him. Biting my poor Pleco was it. And as much as I love my little ram, I won't keep him in there if he's not happy.

I thought about moving him to my mom's 10g that currently only has a small DG and 2 Endler's Livebarers but I'm afraid of him only getting more aggressive in a smaller tank and I know he wouldn't be happy in there. ;(

I'm so sad to have to get rid of him. I just hope my LFS will take him and he will have a good home. :(

It's so hard because I've never seen any evidence of major aggression but now that I think about that bottom dweller thing, it makes sense.

Opinions anyone?

BTW, I have 4 cories, 5 neons, a BR and a BN Pleco. In case you were wondering.

This isn't too uncommon when there are too many fish that occupy the same area of the tank especially when one is a cichlid. Plus you obviously have a more aggressive ram. There isn't too much you can do other than rehome it. A 10g would not work for him.

This isn't too uncommon when there are too many fish that occupy the same area of the tank especially when one is a cichlid. Plus you obviously have a more aggressive ram. There isn't too much you can do other than rehome it. A 10g would not work for him.

Yeah, I figured there wasn't much I could do. Like I said, I'll see if my LFS will take him.

Back
Top Bottom