Bottom Feeder eating habbits...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmallyBiggs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I can't tell if my bottom feeders are actually eating, or if my snails or other fish are just eating everything.
My bottom feeder group consists of a pictus catfish (who rarely comes outof his cave, even at night) , a Siamese algae eater, and two emerald catfish. I feed them homemade gel food, algae wafers, and sinking pellets. My bottom feeders never seem interested in any of this food, but by the time I get home, or wake up in the morning, its all gone.
I do see the the algae wafers and the gel food being eaten by my other fish (a blue Gourami, an African Leaf Fish, and 3 tiger barbs). But I've never seen any fish eat the sinking pellets, yet they are all gone by the next feeding. My question is, how do I know if my bottom feeders are eating at all, or if my two snails are just cleaning everything up later? Wouldn't they usually eat right away? Should I try different food? And how do I know if they are hungry?

I have two pictus cats, two Chinese Algae eaters and a snail for my clean up crew and I thought the same thing a couple of months ago, there fine and all eating, the bottom feeders generally take longer to eat the food presented anyway so there's nothing to worry about

Back
Top Bottom