Bottom Feeder suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlanier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to add a new bottom feeder type fish to my aquarium. I recently had to remove the pictus catfish becuase it was eating the other fish (ate 4 neon tetras and 3 danios in less than a week). Any suggestiosn on a peacefull bottom feeder?

updated the sig. to include the info. But its -
38gal Freshwater PFS
5 glowfish (danios)
1 neon tetra
1 Plecostomus

A school of 6+ corys are nice. They're a lot more playful and less shy if you get a decently sized school. Loaches are fun too. You could probably put a botia in a 38g and khulis are interesting.

Plecos have a high bio load, so you might want to consider not getting any more fish. A 3 inch pleco is like having a 6 inch fish in your tank, they are poop machines.

Plecos have a high bio load, so you might want to consider not getting any more fish. A 3 inch pleco is like having a 6 inch fish in your tank, they are poop machines.
and if its just a common pleco you have, you will need to rehome it or get it a bigger tank anyways...

thanks for infos. I'm seeing the high bioload from the pleco. Other than doing very often cleaning any suggestions for a fish that would help in this area? I've heard ghost shrimps would help here.

getting rid of the pleco is the only way to reduce the bioload, which would be a good idea now instead of waiting until it outgrows the tank

Bristlenose pleco, or a Rubberlip pleco would be good replacements for the Common you have. Or a few Otos. And Chain loaches are small and do fine with a group of 3-4.

Otos would do great in place of the pleco. As for a bottom feeder.. I guess cories.. never owned them but I'm sure they would do what your looking for.

If you want a good bottom feeder (Because catfish are like garbage disposales) Go cory cats, I will always suggest cory cats. They are fun and playful and funny in groups. Plecos are good, but they really don't do the whole job. You should only get a pleco if you WANT and LIKE it. Don't get it for alage because it won't do what you want. Also i like loaches.

Back
Top Bottom