bought a 130 gallon arcrilic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
it messures 6 feet long x 24 inch's deep x 20 inch's wide I am hoping to make it into a nice reef and fish tank the tank is used but in nice shape with a light couldn't pass it up for 200 bucks 1st I need a filter system for the guy I baught it from recomends bio-balls I was thinking of a Rena FilStar xP3 wonder what others think and am willing to really take my time on this to get a nice tank I want to get the filter sand and let it circulate for a good month add some live sand and live rock no major corals a introduce a couple a fish to start then maybe one or so a month, does this sound like I'm on track.

Don't use the canister as your main source of filtration, use the rock and the sand. When you first get it set up, that is the best time to add them, not a month later. If money is an issue, use a good amount of dry base rock as an alternative to live rock. If you already have the Filstar, it can be used to augment the water flow and useful for carbon. It is not very useful in terms of biofiltration. The rock and sand are much more efficient.

Cheers
Steve

will right now I am debating if to go with a Wet/Dry bio balls skimmer etc or the filstar or if you think it's really worth while both.. or would that creat to much water flow that would be about 800-900 GPH > I am deffintly planing on having live rock and live sand..

labman said:
or would that creat to much water flow that would be about 800-900 GPH
In a tank your size you would be looking at about 1500+ GPH so no worries.

> I am deffintly planing on having live rock and live sand..
Then I would skip the Filstar completely and the bioballs. Just opt for a basic sump or sump/refusium combo with the LR and sand in the main tank. It will be the most efficient biologically and less maintenance on your part.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom