Brand new, but sick.. Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new 3 gallon with a whisper filter.
Tank has been up for 2 days without fish I'm using sachem stability to help with cycling but in the mean time I'm also doing water changes of about 50% a day.

Today I bought the betta and introduced him to his new tank. He seems really sick though.
Like his lower body seems to be weak and his tale just seems to float to the surface from time to time. Then he went under the filter and got stuck.

I know this means he is sick but can I do anything to try to help him feel better

I don't know the levels as of right now but amino was at .1
Nitrite was at .5
And nitrate at .5

That was before water change and before fish was introduced.

Hard. Hopefully you get a few more ideas:

Temperature match change water,

Reduce filter flow speed so he can relax.

Good food but not much until he recovers.

Keep up water changes.

Okay I'll do a WC tomorrow again. I'll test my water also to let you know.

The speed of the filter is at it's lowest and while he swims freely and not bothered by the filter everywhere else, he accidentally went under it and just got stuck to it.

I really hope he lives. He is such a gorgeous color.

Does he perk up any time at all (eg after a water change) or get worse? Eating at all?

Edit - have you checked your tap water specs (after standing for 24hrs). Eg ph, ammonia. Most lfs here use the same tap water I do and the tap water is good but never hurts to check it.

Edit 2 - just to cross off:- are you using prime or something to dechlorinate tap water?

Last edited:
I just got him yesterday and I haven't done a WC yet. But I can do one in a bit. I gaved him 3 pellets and he are 2. Also I am using some sort if dischlorinate.
I also use the same tap water for all my other tanks and they are doing just fine.

I just checked ok home right now and his stomach actually looks pretty bloated? What could that be?

It sounds like he was already sick before you brought him home. Thats unfortunately very common if he was kept in one of those tiny plastic cups at the store. The only thing you can really do is keep changing the water daily and hope he beats the bug.

If he doesn't make it, try to screen future bettas more closely. A betta that shows interest in his surroundings and flares/follows your finger if you reach up to it is generally a safe bet. One that just hangs out and ignores bettas in adjoining jars or doesn't react when you reach up to it is more likely to end up being sick and dying when you bring it home.

It sounds like he was already sick before you brought him home. Thats unfortunately very common if he was kept in one of those tiny plastic cups at the store. The only thing you can really do is keep changing the water daily and hope he beats the bug.

If he doesn't make it, try to screen future bettas more closely. A betta that shows interest in his surroundings and flares/follows your finger if you reach up to it is generally a safe bet. One that just hangs out and ignores bettas in adjoining jars or doesn't react when you reach up to it is more likely to end up being sick and dying when you bring it home.

Awh well maybe the move also stressed him a whole lot. Ahh well I'm going to do a WC Right now. about how much should I change. I don't want to stress him even more.

Awh well maybe the move also stressed him a whole lot. Ahh well I'm going to do a WC Right now. about how much should I change. I don't want to stress him even more.

I'd stick to 50% water changes daily. That's large enough to handle any toxin spikes, while not being so large as to horribly throw off the tank's cycling process. Make sure the new water is as close as possible to the same temperature as the old water to minimize stress.

Okay I did the 50%. And he does look a little better. He is swimming better than yesterday, but he still hides and stays loafing at the top.
I was reading some illness that a betta could possibly have and it's most likely a swim bladder infection so now I have to fast him for a couple a days.
Hope he heals.

Any other suggestions that I could do about a swim bladder?

Nah, it will help clean him out. He can have it now.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just mash up a bit about the size of his eye and see if he takes it.

What's the water temp? Cool water can cause constipation too as it slows the digestive system. Betta's like it warm, 76-80.

Don't go throwing warm water in the tank, better to get a heater, preferably an adjustable one. Hydor makes a nice 25w adjustable heater for smaller tanks, that's what I use in my 3gal betta tank.

I've had horrible luck with bettas as well, can't seem to get one healthy enough to turn around.

What's the water temp? Cool water can cause constipation too as it slows the digestive system. Betta's like it warm, 76-80.

Don't go throwing warm water in the tank, better to get a heater, preferably an adjustable one. Hydor makes a nice 25w adjustable heater for smaller tanks, that's what I use in my 3gal betta tank.

I've had horrible luck with bettas as well, can't seem to get one healthy enough to turn around.

The temp is about 76-78 degrees but he was having a hard time swimming since I put him in the tank. Like he swims and his tail just floats up. And sometimes he swims sideways.

It's just really sad and I'm just trying to keep him alive because he hasn't had a life to live in those little cups. So I hope I can succeed.

Update:
I haven't done a WC today but my betta is flaring at himself which is a sign of feeling a little better (from what I read).

I'm going to feed him a frozen pea today to see if that will help with his swim bladder.

He is still lacking to swim good, due to his tail just wanting to float to the surface.

Hopefully the pea helps.

I'd do daily wc until he is healthy. And then just normal maintenance changes. If he is constipated at all the peas wil do the job. He sounds better, keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom