Breeder Net for Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found a few ramshorn hitchikers on my new plants. They're cute leopard patterned brown ones. I'm hoping to get a five gallon to start a ramshorn only tank, but I don't have the tank yet. Can I keep them in a mesh breeder net in my main tank until then? Will the babies be able to get through the holes, or are the holes small enough that they'll all stay in the net and not escape into my tank?

You could keep them in a glass jar (no lid) for a while if you want, I've had them reproduce successfully in such a set up. I'm thinking if you found snails on the plants there may also be snail eggs that are very hard to see, I wouldn't be surprised if more pop up in the tank!

What about filtration and heat? I would try a jar, but I worry about it not being cycled. If I got a big enough container,did frequent water changes and kept it somewhere warm, would it be okay?
If not, I'll just go with the breeder net until I can get a tank.

I have kept ramshorn snails in an unheated/unfiltered 5g tank outside and they did fine.

Alright, I might try that until I can get the tank. Thank you. How often did you do water changes?

ramshorns are prolific breeders I have them by the thousands. Mine are out side in fish breeding pools. They are not to fussy with water temp. 70 to 82. If you over feed your tank they will over run it. If you leave them a lone they will reproduce on there own in your tank. They do need vegies. I use boiled green leafy lettauce. I also feed it to all my live bearing fish.

Back
Top Bottom