Breeding Guppys, Sword Tails, Endlers Live Bearers, Platyes, and Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have always wanted to have baby fry in my tank one day just like my sister. On morning she woke up to a nice batch of molly swordtail hybrid. So i was thinking of breeding fish and selling them for better prics than the expensive pet stores. Well i was thinking of getting a 20 gallon tank to keep the female in with a 10 gallon baby tank. Also a smaller 10 gallon for the males since i am going to get 2 male for every 4 females. with will leave me with 20 females in the 20 gallon and 10 in the 10 gallon. So i was thinking about letting them breed naturally and then raise the fry and sell them to the pet store or let people buy them for reasonable prices. Do you think it would be good for funding a new fish tank?

I would ask the pet store if they would buy them from you before I went and tried it. :) Some of them will only buy from wholesalers. And you don't want a tank full of fry/fish with nowhere to take them. Just my opinion though :D.

Yeah very true but i asked one of my local pet store and they said that if they have a low stock of the fish then they would buy it. And the other two i havent asked yet.

Some people post fish for sale on Craigslist. A couple of my LFSs told me they'd take trades on fish, depending on what I had and what they had room for. I didn't get into details, but I have a feeling that it would be for store credit.

I sell mine on craigslist for the most part, 10 bucks a dozen, they come for one dozen but when they see the colors and quality, they leave with atleast 3 dozen.

I had 3 shops set up to take guppies from me, took them in on scheduled date to one and they said no room. the other two were a waste of time, guy claimed to not know anything yet it was the same person I talked to in person several times.

it will be at the most store credit, some will try and talk you into a "test" batch, then never call back or give you your cut. If an LFS isnt hurting financially at this point in our economy then the place is a front. Most LFS will trade if you got multiple species as well, the more then can make off you and give you little to nothing in return the better for them business wise, heck half the fish you trade are pure profit if not more to the LFS.

I sell mine on craiglist and just this past week on ebay with more then expected results. I make more off them then selling to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom