Brenna ' s fish room basement build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I've heard they can be pretty aggressive, more so than gardneri.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Gardneri just attacks his food but the gularis was attacking the siphon and the net etc. Always wants to know what I'm doing in his palace. I'm reading i may need to house the female separately unless spawning.

Brenna

Sorry. I live on a natural spring..some idiot put the house where they should not have. We have 2 sump pits and etc.

Get tons of dehumidifier water each day.
My friend told me to use that Instead of hooking up an RO since I won't be using that much RO type water.

So no RO unit. Seller convinced me I don't need it.

Brenna

How much RO water do you figure you need? And how much does the dehumidifier generate? In theory it should be pure water but would be worth looking into more and testing. I've read that people use rain water. But again contaminants? Anyway at $20 I'd snag it and worse case resell it if you decided not to use it. That's a great price. One question though, what is the condition of the membrane? You said new filters in the wrappers but which ones are they? Carbon, sediment or membrane? Carbon and sediments filters for my RO run about $11-13 dollars. A replacement membrane is about $50. I think a TDS meter is worth the money even if you don't run RO water. Another thought is to check with your lfs. Do they have RO water for sale or trade? If you don't need that much might be worth it. Your fish are looking amazing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The problem is that I don't really understand how this RO system worked. Lol. Not sure yet how much I need
I have to get the TDS meter still and run some tests. Not sure which new parts came with it. Wasn't carbon.
My dehumidifier produces maybe 1 gallon a day. It's a 20g tank and I have to transition slowly so I won't need much at all at first.

Brenna

I've done quite a bit of reading on using dehumidifier water for tanks and the majority of it was "don't do it". To many risks involved. have you considered just getting 5gal of ro from the lfs each week? May be a pain though.

Would you mind sharing some of the risks? I'm new to this so I'm wondering at specific reasons.. I can certainly ask lfs. What about distilled water from . grocery store?

Brenna

I got interested when people.were talking about using condensation from AC and I came across a discussion about dehumidifiers as well. Can't remember where I found it but basically high concentrations on heavy metals was enough to get me off the idea. Not that it'd be an issue with us fish geeks but aeresols and such being pulled into the dehumidifier, probably a heater coil in there that could.pose a problem. If it was proven safe it'd be a awesome, I just assume water the plants with it. Dechlorinated anyways.. distilled would be just fine. What do they charge?

I am with Brook on the dehumidifier.
Mine makes almost 2-4 g a day!!
It is NOT safe;
Can I Use Dehumidifier Water? | eHow
Far from a real link that I like to provide ,but without a true scientific test every unit can be different.
I've been part of many threads on this...
Always NO!

Now the rough news on the ro....
If you are well water you will be pushing the limit of the unit IMO.
It WILL work as long as you have enough pressure, but you may really go through media/cartridges...
Like hjsvt said a new membrane(TFC) will be around $50 but I would replace it so you are new day 1...
As for prices on other cartridges , this is why I use BRS for my RO/DI supplies....
@$25 for the unit you should get it.
See what they cost new and know they have NO MOVING PARTS...
Only the carts/media needs replacing.
They are as simple to hook up as can be.
I had no clue and was more then a little nervous before mine.
I went through $$$$ before on home distillers with the last commercial unit costing almost $400 and burning out element in 1 1/2 years($150 replacement :nono:)

I use egg crate in lieu of lids sometimes but doesn't help if you have small jumpers.
I love metae. They were my first fish purchase of my own. They're actually pretty difficult to find...sold to me as panda cories.
I've never actually seen albino paleatus in person that's pretty cool

I am with Brook on the dehumidifier.
Mine makes almost 2-4 g a day!!
It is NOT safe;
Can I Use Dehumidifier Water? | eHow
Far from a real link that I like to provide ,but without a true scientific test every unit can be different.
I've been part of many threads on this...
Always NO!

Now the rough news on the ro....
If you are well water you will be pushing the limit of the unit IMO.
It WILL work as long as you have enough pressure, but you may really go through media/cartridges...
Like hjsvt said a new membrane(TFC) will be around $50 but I would replace it so you are new day 1...
As for prices on other cartridges , this is why I use BRS for my RO/DI supplies....
@$25 for the unit you should get it.
See what they cost new and know they have NO MOVING PARTS...
Only the carts/media needs replacing.
They are as simple to hook up as can be.
I had no clue and was more then a little nervous before mine.
I went through $$$$ before on home distillers with the last commercial unit costing almost $400 and burning out element in 1 1/2 years($150 replacement :nono:)
Thank you. I knew you all would talk sense with reasons for me. I can buy it when I go back at the end of the month to pick up the plecos. I'll just keep watering the plants. In the mean time I've softened the water with IAL and peat. Little buggers have good appetites. I just want them to be able to have spawns should they desire to. They really have personality.

Brenna

I use egg crate in lieu of lids sometimes but doesn't help if you have small jumpers.
I love metae. They were my first fish purchase of my own. They're actually pretty difficult to find...sold to me as panda cories.
I've never actually seen albino paleatus in person that's pretty cool
He has all kinds of corys. The loxonus or however it's spelled was there too. I'm thinking eventually about some metae. Need to wait but I know where to get them. I'm also thinking about porthole livebearers. I can get the scientific name in the next post. I forgot what it is just now. They are cute, they breed prolifically and my friend has them.

Brenna

Was the live bearer by chance the cuban lima

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pociliopsis gracillis. Porthole livebearer. He may have the Cuban lima. He's very into rare livebearers. Has had some lines for 30 years. Some he showed me are extinct in the wild now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can I ask what BRS is? Just curious. Always looking for links on well priced supplies.

Thank you. I knew you all would talk sense with reasons for me. I can buy it when I go back at the end of the month to pick up the plecos. I'll just keep watering the plants. In the mean time I've softened the water with IAL and peat. Little buggers have good appetites. I just want them to be able to have spawns should they desire to. They really have personality.

Brenna

This is a pretty basic FAQ on RO/DI but it might help answer questions. This link also has some good information. If you have other questions about RO, ask away, I'll try to answer the best I know!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Was the live bearer by chance the cuban lima

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This?

http://johnhoernig.webs.com/brachyrhaphis-olomina.

This is my friend's website. He doesn't ship anymore but that doesn't mean I can't. It's just not worth the hassle to him. Plus he lives way in the country, so the post office is a drive.

This?

http://johnhoernig.webs.com/brachyrhaphis-olomina.

This is my friend's website. He doesn't ship anymore but that doesn't mean I can't. It's just not worth the hassle to him. Plus he lives way in the country, so the post office is a drive.

I believe that he is asking about Limia vitatta.

I believe that he is asking about Limia vitatta.

According to his Web list he has 2 others types. He has a ton that's not listed so he may. I can always ask if there's interest.

Back
Top Bottom