Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually did buy some, I think it comes tomorrow - I figured that worst case scenario, I hate it and resell it :lol: Just haven't done a ton of research on it. I will most likely continue to make fun of it without hesitation, though :)

You won't hate it. Trust me. ;)

Haha.. I like that, ETF! Lol... I'm planning on the hardscape this weekend. I might just plant and flood too. I found someone that's going to sell me UG, but it won't come until next week sometime. I guess I can always plant that after the fact.

Haha.. I like that, ETF! Lol... I'm planning on the hardscape this weekend. I might just plant and flood too. I found someone that's going to sell me UG, but it won't come until next week sometime. I guess I can always plant that after the fact.

May I ask what UG is? I'm sure I'm going to facepalm so hard when you tell me

That's coool. I'm excited to see it. :) UG is really cool. I have some HC planted right now but my Cory keeps messing with it.

EDIT: While I was typing this I just watched my German Blue Ram uproot a patch of HC :(

Where'd you get your yamaya stones? I am thinking of getting some for my 20 rimless.

Check this interesting thread guys. You can grow UG emersed from the clippings from any direction of the leaf-like structures (bladders). The roots, which aren't actual roots, develop from any end of the trimmed leaf/bladders.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=439401

@max - the yamaya was purchased locally in Phoenix from a place called AquaTouch. They do phone orders too. I believe their source though is AFA.

That's coool. I'm excited to see it. :) UG is really cool. I have some HC planted right now but my Cory keeps messing with it.

EDIT: While I was typing this I just watched my German Blue Ram uproot a patch of HC :(

Yeah, I've heard HC can be a real pain to keep rooted. If I do use my next build, I probably won't have much in the way of bottom dwellers :lol:

UG definitely is an interesting plant. It also has gone down tremendously in price since I got mine, makes me feel stupid for buying it when it was so expensive!

And I thought I was the only one who did the "special" blend. I did it with my 50g a few months ago. Def following :D!

Oh what the heck! I'll do an update here... I'm in a good mood (about to go watch Thor).

I've updating my journals on TPT (here) that I forget where I left off on AA... too many updates to post so I'll do a minimized version here... Let's just say, not too long ago, my tank looked like this:

10252620606_c1dac84567_c.jpg

Fast forward weeks later (maybe a month?) UPDATE!

I've been in and out of my house all week so I had little time to maintain this tank. It basically grew out nuts, like a jungle! Unfortunately, some algae did too! I had a little algae buildup on the sand and it forms like a clumpy layer on top of it.. Anyone know what type of algae that is? It pearls like crazy when both lights are on.

Anyway, a buddy of mine wanted a little portion of UG, HC, and stem trimmings so I hacked away last night, spot treated the sand with H2O2, and re-groomed everything! I was going to wait until I had a little grow-back before I posted an update, but what the heck! I like to show the good, the bad, and the ugly in my journals (not just all "good").

Here's the before pic. UG filling in and HC has fully carpeted its section. The AR Mini lost a bit of its coloring due to being partially blocked out of light from the overgrown Myrio. Took care of that! Mini Fiss is growing in nicely on the DW. 049 has dug in nicely and growing in compact. Propagating P. Erectus, Ludwigia sp. Red, and R. Macrandra... will eventually push out the Myrio.

10764307514_45a802eee0_o.jpg

Here's post-trim (this is the 2nd trim since I started this tank, BTW). I busted out the GLA nude scissors and the curved spring scissors for the HM bush (among other things) :) I pulled out 2 clumps of UG and a row of HC for a buddy (yes I'm too nice... would have preferred to waited until my tank fully grew in). The UG wants to invade the sand... I think I'm going to let it a bit in the middle right where there's a loner clump with sand on the left and right of it... I want that section to be nice and straight with UG.

10764307414_c3de1e933b_o.jpg

10764499703_3e70ba8b3d_o.jpg

Alright guys... thanks for following! :)

Looking good as always! I think you need a little something under the driftwood, there's like an empty patch. Maybe let the hydrocotyle grow that way. I think that'd look cool.

Man, you are extremely nice! I bet your friend greatly appreciates you sacrificing some of your plants for him! ;)

Yeah I was thinking that too... I had a mini AR there but it wasn't getting enough light. Need something lower light tolerant. Hydro Japan works... but what do you think of some needle leaf java fern or blyxa? Less chasing down runners. Lol

Yeah I was thinking that too... I had a mini AR there but it wasn't getting enough light. Need something lower light tolerant. Hydro Japan works... but what do you think of some needle leaf java fern or blyxa? Less chasing down runners. Lol
Blyxa might need a lot of light too, but you could try. Yeah, that Hydrocotyle goes everywhere! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom