Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Brian,

Awesome tank, I really really like it!

I'm sure you've probably read the method of controlled imbalances but I thought I would share just in case. This really helped me with my algae problems.

Method of Controlled Imbalances Summary - Algae - Aquatic Plant Central

If yours is the same as mine was (hard to tell from picks) your to high on kno3. Backing off on the kno3 did it for me.

I once had an epic battle with cyano bacteria. if you ever get that let me know I kicked it's azz although it took 6 months of experiments and enough reading time to earn a PHD on the topic. LOL

End of the road for this tank for a bit guys.. :(

Had an apartment fire Friday (while no one was home) due to a faulty circuit or something in the kitchen wall. The sprinklers and fire department managed to contain the fire in the kitchen and rescue my dog, THANK GOD. I arrived on seen to an utter disaster. Water flooded the apartment, black smelly soot EVERYWHERE! I lost a lot of personal belongings. Sucks!

The 2g Pico cube was totaled. The 60P looked okay but I guess the fire fighter must have knocked a fixture into the tank when they threw a tarp over it. All the fish in there were dead... I'm assuming via electrocution. The other tanks (60F and GLA 6g) survived. Had to leave the 60P for the insurance adjuster. I can possibly salvage it after Monday because it "looks" unscathed. Hopefully there's no damage from heat, with relatively close proximity to the kitchen. Worried somewhat about silicone warping or something?

Basically can't touch kitchen and living room stuff. So I took the plants out of 60p (destroyed my scape in the process) and moved the rest of my tanks to our new unit on the other side of the apartment community. Destroyed those scapes too by removing the heavy layout stones in order to move the tanks more safely.

What a mess! I've been scrabbling to RE-set up the 60F and GLA 6g as temporary holding tanks. Might set up another 10g I had in the garage, if need be. Most of the plants look good, just need to re-set these tanks up with lights, filter, and co2 tonight to keep them on life support!

I saved 2 scarlet badis, although they don't look too good. Saved 2 CPDs and my betta. 11 neons, 5 embers, 3 otos, and 4 pygmy corys all died :(

Here's some horror pictures:

Apartment from local news helicopter.

e5ara9eh.jpg

Horror scene:
zasuty8e.jpg

The 60P :(
zu9avuse.jpg

To be continued...

My Pico cube horror:

img_2746336_3_4482601291d62b575a0ae2c5e09ffb05.png

Last edited:
OMG!!! I'm so glad that you guys and your dog are ok! Fires SUCK! :( we had a chicken coop fire earlier this year! Floor to ceiling smoke! So sorry Brian :( :( Stinks you lost some stuff, and a couple tanks are totaled, BUT you, your girlfriend and dog are all ok. THAT'S what matters.

So sorry my friend. Thank God you're all ok. Once you get recovered and need any plants that I have let me know. My brother's house was totally consumed two years ago. He lost everything. After all was settled he came out with better than he had except for memory items. Hope it's same for you. Keep us posted. OS.

What a way for an epic build to come to an end! Aside from your fish glad nothing else living was harmed. It'll be tough but looking forward to seeing you rebuild your tanks! Let us know if you need some ROAK plants/tank stuff! I'm sure many of us would donate!

Really sorry to hear that! :( I'm glad everyone (including your dog) is OK. Fires are not fun, especially when belongings are lost. If you want or need anything, you can PM me :)

Last edited:
Brian I'm so sorry for you both but glad you, your girlfriend, and dog are okay. Like others have said if you need something just ask!

That's horrible, brother! I'm so glad you all are okay, and they were able to save your dog! I hope you're able to save all your plants and get settled in to your new place. Keep us updated, and like others said, let me know if you need anything.

Quite a few years ago there were some teens going around setting house fires just for kicks in my area. They finally got caught but they lit at least 5 house fires I can remember.

So sorry for your loss, but the most important thing is that you guys are ok. Thank God for that. I pray and hope that the recovery from this situation is quick for you guys.

Hang in there man!

On a side note - it is sad that this build ended so prematurely.

Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas! AA finally updated the app to be tapatalk-like, which I absolutely love! Thanks AA!

I also want to congratulate Rivercats for getting a well-deserved enlistment to moderator status. The AA community has definitely gotten better now with a great app and moderator!

Nothing new on my end... I still have my plants on life support while we're still rebuilding. I'm aiming for a rescape in January (hopefully).

Here's a quick pic of how my tanks are setup to sustain the plants ATM (pretty boring). I have two tanks in the garage (60P as one of them). My Pico Cube might get replaced, or not. It's still toppled over in the "crime scene" at my old apartment. LOL

sent from the new AA app (finally improved!)

Attachments

• 1387911237037.jpg
    1387911237037.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 136
Good to hear from you brother! Glad to see you're keeping those plants alive. Have a merry Christmas, dude. We'll all be looking forward to the new scapes! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom