Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh, the peacock.. looks amazing. . Mine are actually cacatoides double red..please ignore the state of the plants in the background;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1404073853355.jpg
    1404073853355.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 68
I need to start taking pictures with the flash huh? Your guys pics look really good!

The pics i posted were found in the internet. But I've had my eye on those empire gudgeons for sometime. I read, however, that the brilliant red coloration is only exhibited when they're mating. Otherwise, they're very bland. Too bad they don't look like that all the time, then I'd definitely be adding this fish to my list of lust. LOL

What about a. panduro?
Internet pics (not mine) :
Male:
mlb9mVtU1uc1e5VxBW1qbnA.jpg

Female:
Apistogramma_nijsseni_(f).jpg

Panduro's are sharp looking but def not a community fish..

On the topic of apistos I'm very fond of a. borellii. A pretty hardy and underrated apisto IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I beg to differ. I kept a breeding pair in my 40b with angels.

I was referring to a couple schools of tetras and some corys or something, not much larger cichlids.. i suppose anything is possible though.. i moved my odd one to my community 30b and it chills with the female apisto cac most of the time.. my breeding pair would be a terror in their though..

I was referring to a couple schools of tetras and some corys or something, not much larger cichlids.. i suppose anything is possible though.. i moved my odd one to my community 30b and it chills with the female apisto cac most of the time.. my breeding pair would be a terror in their though..

Yeah I think a breeding pair might not be the best choice for a community... but two of the same gender (or just one) would probably be fine.

Another option, although it's not the most unique, is bolivian rams. I have had two of them for almost 4 years. Here's a pic of one of mine when colored up (as you can see, even when they're colored up, they aren't the most colorful) :

35736-albums8642-picture33300.jpg

Yeah I think a breeding pair might not be the best choice for a community... but two of the same gender (or just one) would probably be fine.

Agreed, they're beautiful fish..i keep my water stained dark with almond leaves and they still.look great!

I think a panduro could work, but they would probably be out of your desired price range. You could look around to see if there are any hobbyists who sell them, but the ones I've seen from wetspot and on aquabid have been $15+ each.

Brian, I had a peacock Gudgeon. It was a really cool fish. Only thing- it took time to get it to eat pellets/flakes. I had to feed frozen bloodworms for at least a month or so before it would accept pellets. Wow...since getting into Reefing, fifteen for a fish is dirt cheap. I haven't paid under thirty five for any of mine. Forget about coral..

Thanks guys for the options on fish. I'll just have to see what my LFS has and what credit they'll give me for some plant trade-ins.

@Joey - I can't recall, are you making your Mr aqua into a reef? Or which tank is a reef and what's the startup cost and maintenance? Give me some sticker shock! :)

Thanks guys for the options on fish. I'll just have to see what my LFS has and what credit they'll give me for some plant trade-ins.

@Joey - I can't recall, are you making your Mr aqua into a reef? Or which tank is a reef and what's the startup cost and maintenance? Give me some sticker shock! :)

Yeah, in the next few weeks it will be a reef. Actually, I'm going to the LFS tonight to gather supplies. Well, as far as startup cost...for a 60P, with sump and skimmer, probably $900 before livestock. That's a fair estimate. Maybe a little less, though. I'm gonna drop about 700 tonight just getting all the supplies...? Yoh should really do it on your 6g. You're looking at maybe $200 for that tank. All you would need is a light, a refractometer, a power head, and some other small stuff. I'm going all out on mine. I want it to look super clean with the sump and MP10...Sorry to hijack!

No.. not hijack... I asked!

So do you need to drill the 60p? If anything, I might start with my 12g Nano Cube that's collecting dust in the garage. But not till like next year or something.. haha

Haha nope you don't have to! I'm doing it though because it's a tad bit cheaper, and looks cleaner and functions a little bit better, IMO. I'm about to send you a PM.

Dude... LMK when you have a thread for this. I want to see how you drill it and all. Who knows, I might want to do the same someday! ;)

On another note...

A little late night viewing with the default moonlight mode on the E-Series.

It makes the substrate look like the surface of mars! :)

iskblWRema4g7.JPG

And my fish super vibrant -- no Photoshop, straight from the camera.

ixUppHgW0EU5Z.JPG

Another interesting thing I discovered is that if I dose Fe right after I dose my macros, particularly PO4, they bind and create a cloudy tank. I thought I had a bacterial bloom for a second. Anyways, it cleared up after several hours. But it made kind of a nice haze, like a late night fog had rolled in, with beams of LED light poking through. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom