Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like that are other aquarium plants too that are banned (in certain regions mostly), especially in CA. I was shocked to see that the African Clawed Frog is banned in Illinois. Just for anyone that is from the Great Lakes Region, here is a link to what is prohibited: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/wrd-ais-regulated-species_390473_7.pdf

Go Reds!

Thanks for that link! Good information there!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BTW guys.. I got selected to be 1 of 2 planted tank hobbyists to get a sample unit for review of the new Finnex Planted+ 24/7! It just arrived at my door step yesterday. I took it through a little photo shoot in my pop-up studio. Think I'll start a separate thread with a mini review and initial impressions. Not to mention lots of photos! :)

16490418759_0bef667035_b.jpg

16488987168_05496b97fe_b.jpg

16056617623_0652da708b_b.jpg

Last edited:
BTW guys.. I got selected to be 1 of 2 planted tank hobbyists to get a sample unit for review of the new Finnex Planted+ 24/7! It just arrived at my door step yesterday. I took it through a little photo shoot in my pop-up studio. Think I'll start a separate thread with a mini review and initial impressions. Not to mention lots of photos! :)

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8644/16490418759_0bef667035_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8611/16488987168_05496b97fe_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8607/16056617623_0652da708b_b.jpg

Congratulations Brian! Please post the link if you do the other thread....one word first impression....go?

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Congratulations Brian! Please post the link if you do the other thread....one word first impression....go?

Thanks, pittbully. One word: delightful. :)

It's going to take a bit to gather my thoughts, but so far I like it. At first I was just fiddling with the dynamic modes and "demo" button. Trying out the custom RGB control. The 'demo' is cool because you can see what would otherwise take 24 hours to cycle, squeezed into a time frame of 10 minutes or so (still need to time this). I'm really enjoying the 24/7 mode as its starting to grow on me. It's way more gradual than a simple "ramp" function of 15 minutes. Dusk and dawn lasts more like a hour+. More on this later as I need to ask for better literature on the functions or time them myself. The sample unit is pretty much just that, no papers.

I am very jealous of that light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't be. But thanks.. I'll take it as a compliment. :)

Last edited:
So this is capable of a siesta period??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That fixture looks more like a piece of art. Not knocking its technical capabilities. You are in a special group and they selected the right person for this evaluation.
I love the evolution of this technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If anyone is going to make that little birdie sing it's Dr. Nano!! Looks pretty similar to the stingray in styling?? I'll be following this closely.. if it's on target with perspective price point it should be right around the planted plus which is amazing if it's got the power and timing capabilities of certain "other" models;)

Congrats Brian! Nice looking unit. Finnex seems to be stepping up their game. Looking forward to the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ??

That is a great price for that fixture! I believe it's only a few dollars more than the Planted+ and FugeRay.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know, I'm thinking about getting it, and asking for forgiveness later.

Decisions decisions...get Planted+ or Planted+ 24/7. Price is near identical, and if im going to do I should do it right. Wonder how the 24/7 will do for reds.

Edit: i shouldn't have watched that video... leaning heavily towards the 24/7 now for different reasons.

Brian I have a question for you. If you run the 24/7 on 24 hour mode does having the lights on and putting out PAR for 12 hours seem to have a big impact on algae? That just seems like a long time to be running the lights for.

That's a no brainer. 24/7 all the way.. only downside is the wait:(

Guess I'm gong to have the fluval led simgle for a bit longer now. It looks like it will be worth the wait though :)

Congrats Brian! Nice looking unit. Finnex seems to be stepping up their game. Looking forward to the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ??

Thanks, Slavo!

Brian I have a question for you. If you run the 24/7 on 24 hour mode does having the lights on and putting out PAR for 12 hours seem to have a big impact on algae? That just seems like a long time to be running the lights for.

I'm still not sure how long the max intensity "high noon" part of the 24/7 mode is. But from what I'm told and my observations (periodically coming and going from my house), I'd say there's only about 3 to 4 hours of intense light to worry about.. there's very gradual ramp up and down lighting outside of that.

I messaged Lowe from Finnex about PAR, but they only have unofficial numbers taken from their own Apogee meter. I believe to account for more of the wavelengths, a different PAR meter is needed. As soon as I get those numbers I'll update -- unless you guys catch Finnex posting them up elsewhere.

Here's Lowe's response:

Hey Brian. I haven't gotten the manufacturer's readings in but with our meter the 24" unit is showing:

6": ~105
12": ~50
18": ~30

Back
Top Bottom