Brichardi Fry - African Chiclids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpguerrette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just noticed a whole bunch of Brichardi fry in my 45 gal African tank, just wondering if anyone out there had any experience with Brichardi breeding and had any suggestion????? They are in with about 16 other african all an inch to two inches with a ton of lava rock, not sure if i can just leave them or if they should be removed after a period of time????
Thanks in advance to anyone with any suggestions!!!!!!!!!!

Depends on what you want as an end result --- do you want to raise them for sale/trade value or are you looking to simply increase the size of your community in the existing tank? If you are wanting to keep as many of the brood as possible you need to remove them to prevent them becoming someone's lunch -- BUT have a plan because the tank you currently have isn't really adequate to take on many more inhabitants. If you are not prepared to sell/trade them or to add more tanks to support the extra fish you can simply leave them in the tank and the strong/fast/smart ones will survive (or not, but such is nature) and you may end up with a few more fish in the tank but not face being overrun as you would by removing them to separate quarters.

Mandi,
Thanks for the info, kinda limited by the size of the 45gal, and a bit crowed as is.... thinkin i may just leave them be and let nature take its course...
thanks again, graig

Brichardi are extreamly good parents chances are most of them will survive if you just leave them in the tank. i have a pair of them in a tank with 7 other africans and my brichardi keep the other africans corraled on one side keeping the fry safe.

Back
Top Bottom