Bristlenose pleco requires driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read this online. I have a 75 gallon planted community freshwater and thought about adding one or two bristlenose plecos because I currently have no algae eaters. I don't want to add driftwood either. So would they be okay without it?

No, plecos need driftwood. It's has key nutrients in it that plecos need. Plecos won't totally clear algae either. If you're looking for an algae clean up crew then look into Siamese algae eaters and flying foxes.

No, plecos need driftwood. It's has key nutrients in it that plecos need. Plecos won't totally clear algae either. If you're looking for an algae clean up crew then look into Siamese algae eaters and flying foxes.

I heard flying foxes can be mean. Or is that only when kept together?

Both, when kept in groups they will (just like their cousins the rainbow shark) usually chase the other out of their territory. But in a 75, well planted with lots of caves and enough food then I doubt you'll see aggression.

Or are Siamese/Chinese algae eaters pretty peaceful??? I read they can get 10 inches? :/

I heard flying foxes can be mean. Or is that only when kept together?
they are more aggressive when they are kept alone. when they have 5-6 of their own kind, than they mellow out. what size tank is this for? are you having algae problems?
edit; just saw that its for a 75. do you want an algae eater for eating algae? if so i would go with some nerite snails. there are some really cool ones such as the zebra nerite and horned nerite

they are more aggressive when they are kept alone. when they have 5-6 of their own kind, than they mellow out. what size tank is this for? are you having algae problems?

75 gallon. And no, no algae problems. Just like the always have a clean up crew on hand! Plus I think sucker mouths are pretty cool looking

75 gallon. And no, no algae problems. Just like the always have a clean up crew on hand! Plus I think sucker mouths are pretty cool looking
how come you don't want driftwood in the tank?you could always get a BN pleco and hide some driftwood in the tank. and plecos aren't really a clean up crew. they will eat algae when they are young, but will pretty quickly become lazy and only eat foods you give them

how come you don't want driftwood in the tank?you could always get a BN pleco and hide some driftwood in the tank. and plecos aren't really a clean up crew. they will eat algae when they are young, but will pretty quickly become lazy and only eat foods you give them

I don't know. I guess I just always looked at it as being a hassle. With having to boil the driftwood, then removing all the discoloration it puts in the water.. I'm not sure haha. I'm just scared of messing something up in my aquarium I guess! I even have a piece of driftwood I got from a pet store

You don't have to boil wood? Just soak it in a bucket, you will see the tannins come out if any do, proper bog wood leaches a bit, run carbon for a few weeks, remove carbon, observe tank re fit carbon as and when necessary, that's what I did, I've had no problems in 8 years, not all loracidae eat bog wood, some species it is essential others prefer meat. I had a blue phantom L128 that was a molluscivore it didn't touch any algae for 3 years it just loved snails. Gibbiceps and hypostomus I've kept can be seen to rasp wood, my Bristlenose eats all manor of things but not snails. Aqua log Loricariidae is a book which should help you. Observe dentition of the fish as this is a major indicator of what it will most likely eat.

Back
Top Bottom