Bristlenose Pleco with white patches that come and go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiskeyD

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had a single BN pleco in my 29g (76*F, 6.6ph, gh/kh 1) for a little over a year now and he has these white patches with white bumps in them randomly throughout his body. The bumps look like ich, but I dont believe they are because they stay confined to the white patches and none of the other fish have any symptoms. The tank has had the same occupants for the past year so its not contagious to the tetras or single guppy. He acts completely normal so I never bothered with figuring out what was exactly wrong with him until now. I want to move him to my 180 gallon to be with the 3 female BNs but I do not want to introduce anything that could infect the females. I searched around the forum and google and couldn't really find anything that was spot on to my pleco. Body fungus was about the only thing that kind of resembled my pleco so I figured I would ask someone who knows more than me here :) Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

edit - here are pics... you can see the patches on his back that have white bumps in them, the bumps run down toward the eyes and one patch near his tail. Sometimes he only has a few smaller patches, they seem to be random.

I am just going out on a limb, but could they be marking having to do with breeding? I was reading that some fish get brighter and more pronounced markings during breeding season.

I can see the pic, but not sure what it is. it is not fuzzy looking at all right?
there is someone on here that knows alot about plecos... I will try and remember who that is or maybe they will hop on your thread and help you out.
to me it almost looks patterned right?

Well he's the only pleco in the tank so I dont think he would be showing signs of breeding. I want to transfer him in with the females just for that reason :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom