Brownish Spots on my tank glass! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chueyboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have noticed an increasing number of brownish spots on my tank glass as of the last month or two. I am assuming it is a form of algae, but not sure. It comes off with a stroke of a sponge, but sometimes they are a bit harder to get off.

Is this algae? A result of having hard water? Is there a fish that dines on this as to keep my tank clean?

I have a few sharks and community fish and the tank is 100gal.

Any and all advice is welcome.
Thank You

Here is some info I got off of http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/maintenance1/p/algaebrown.htm?terms=brown+algae I hope it helps you out.

Other Names: Gravel algae, Silica algae

Color: Brown

Appearance: Begins as brown patches on the gravel and/or glass, then rapidly coats most surfaces of the aquarium with a thin, dark brown coating that is easily removed. Unlike blue-green/slime algae, it does not come off in large slimy sheets.

Cause:

Diatoms

Excess silicates & nitrates

Inadequate light

Low oxygen levels

Brown algae is due to diatoms, and is a common occurrence in a newly set up aquarium. It is generally caused by too little light, an excess of silicates, an abundance of nutrients, and too little oxygen. Silicates can build up through tap water that is high in silicic acid, and silicates that leech from some types of substrates.

Cure:

Wipe off surfaces & vaccine gravel well

Use silicate adsorbing resin in the filter

Increase the lighting

Stock a plecostomus or several otocinclus

This type of algae does not adhere strongly to the tank surfaces, and is easily wiped away. Vacuuming the gravel with a siphon will quickly remove coatings from the substrate. Increasing the lighting will inhibit regrowth of brown algae. As a new tank matures brown algae is often eliminated naturally by plants and green algae competing for nutrients.

Some suckermouth catfish will readily eat brown algae, most notably plecostomus and otocinclus. If the problem is due to high silicates in the water, and the brown algae persists, a special silicate absorbing resin can be used in the filter.

Prevention:

Use of RO water

Regular water changes

Regular aquarium cleaning

Good lighting

As with any algae, keeping the tank clean and performing regular water changes is one of the best preventative measures. Unfortunately it is still possible to get algae in spite of regular maintenance, especially in a newly established aquarium. Prompt attention to sudden algae growth will prevent more serious problems.

I just had the same thing. I bought a spotted tailfin catfish and some cories to help with the problem. At the same time, I bought three mollies. The mollies were the ones that devoured it! It was GONE in about 3 hours. Amazing!

I have some mystery snails to help control algae and they absolutely cannot keep up with it. They're eating it, but way too slowly...

Sati....if you have the room and the spare change...get a Farlowella. Bizarre catfish and they just LOVE diatoms!!

Chueyboy, I had the same thing awhile back. Got 4 otos and they cleared the brown stuff overnight!

I have a similar prob and got 3 otos to clear things up. It's been almost a week now, and they're still not done. There doesn't seem to be too much of the stuff in the tank, but maybe I just have rebellious otos. :?

Back
Top Bottom