BTA Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul Cooper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a 30 gal reef tank I went and got a BTA about a week ago. She looks bleached now what am I doing wrong?

Water parameters? How long has your tank been set up? What kind of light do you have on your tank? How did you acclimate the anemone to your system?

I have a coralife hood 50/50 and i have the lunar light also the tank has been running for about 2 years now.. I let her sit in the back from the fish store for about a hour before i added her

Water is pretty good the PH is a little higher but they seem to like that..And she seems to be feeding well actually my tomato clown has been feeding it! She's not moving around or anything I just want that darker color back..

You are probably going to need more lighting to make the anemone happy. Acclimating an anemone should take at least an hour. The best process is to drip acclimate the anemone for an hour or more. This allows it to adjust to your ph your sg your temp and other parameters.

Bleaching is a result of either too much light not enough light or poor water quality.

Wow.. You think I really need more lighting? the daylight bulb is 10k and the actinic is 65k so I need to buy a whole new lighting system?

How many watts are the lights? Anemones require high lighting. I'm not saying you need to buy a new light I'm just trying to understand more about your system.

I agree with how much wattage are the bulbs? Some times you have to light acclimate the anenome also. Also moving this to the sick fish and coral forum.

Yeah it's all about the wattage, not the spectrum (K rating) of the bulbs. I also believe too much feeding can stress them out too.

Scott makes a good point. Feeding once in a while is much better then feeding regularly. The anemone uses more energy eating that food then it gets from the food.

More information about your lighting please?

Back
Top Bottom