Bubble Layer from Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screamer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello to everyone being this is my first post here.

I am a new aquarium owner of a 25 gal tank I got for my b-day and I've basically stocked it up with everything I need. I am using a 30 whisper filter which I had running for 4 - 5 days with the tank filled with tap water.

Finally I got 30 lbs of stones for the bottum of the tank with some fake planets and a statue. I washed everything with warm water prior to putting it into the tank. I let it run for a while after putting in all of the items and then added my fish which are 3 Neon Tetras and 2 Black Mollies.

I have noticed that now with all of these items added into the tank a layer of bubbles seems to form from where the water lands out of the filter ( filter is the type that sits ontop of that tank and lets the water land into the tank ) If I open the lid of the aquarium the bubbles somewhat disapear and if I close the lid they seem to collect very quickly. Also, water does not appear to be very cloudy at all.

What can I do to prevent this? Maybe some other things I should check as well?

Welcome to AA!!!

After a little more time the bubbles will stop appearing. They are sticking because there is no bacterial film on the decorations yet.

Do you have a test kit? You are running a tank that has not cycled, with fish in it. You will need to monitor your ammonia and nitrite readings and be prepared to change water to keep your fish healthy. Please read the following.

Nitrogen Cycle

Thanks for the welcome :)

I only learned about "ammonia and nitrite readings" just today so it'll be definitly my next thing to look into. My PH level is fine at 7.2 I believe.

I basically let the tank run for about 5 days with the new filteration with nothing in it. Sorry, I am a complete newbie to all of this so I'm not entirely sure if I have done an entire cycle. I have put the water treatment into the tank with waste control as well. The fish seem happy at the moment but the molly's seem sort of odd. They are extremely shy and sort of just sit around behind obsticles or stay near the top the other half of the time.

In my experience, mollies can be kind of fragile...on an uncycked tank I would suspect that they're on their way out. pH is the least of your worries. Do very frequent checks for ammonia and nitrites. You'll also be looking at doing quite a few water changes (right now, partial water changes are just that...water changes. Do not vaccum your gravel. Only take out water, as bacteria that you want will be living in the gravel).

On the plus side, you've got a very low bio-load, and you should keep it that way for a while, at least until your ammonia and nitrites go to zero.

Are you treating you water? I assume you are, otherwise everything would likely be dead, but if not, you should run out and get a dechorinator. Prime is very popular in here.

Things are looking up! I think it took 3 - 4 days for the mollies to get used of the tank because now they seem to be swimming around and playing like the tetras. They seem content for the most part.

I don't have an amonia and nitrite tester yet but from what I gather basically the solution to those issues is to just to do lots of water changes? 10% changes every 3 or so days since it's in its first bio cycle?

And for treating the water I basically have a product called Cycle, Waste Control and Aqua Plus. I'm not sure if that is what you mean?

Screamer said:
And for treating the water I basically have a product called Cycle, Waste Control and Aqua Plus. I'm not sure if that is what you mean?

Most people here will tell you to stop using cycle...it doesn't "do" exactly what it claims. Prime is highly reccomended. That will replace the other three you are using.

Good luck with your new tank! Post a pic of your mollies if you get a chance!

Back
Top Bottom