Buenos Aires tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do these tetras need a school? I'm trying to figure out stocking for my empty tanks right now. I went to the store and got 2 dozen trumpet snails (yea!) and the last buenos aires tetra in a tank with loaches and black skirts. I know he'll get 4 inches about. I can find some more for a tank, but I think he might be fine with my female bettas and kuhlis in a 20 gallon long. I need something in the middle of that tank because the bettas and loaches like sticking to the sides and top or bottom. I've heard they need a lot of space to motivate them to school and they sometimes fight with their own species. Any thoughts?

They do best in schools, but be warned: I had a group of five in my community tank, and they did a number on everything but the tiger barbs. After they beat everyone else up, they then started forming a social ladder of their own among themselves, CONSTANTLY battling for leadership status! It got old after awhile... I am starting to think they would make great dithers for a Jack Dempsey or even a larger cichlid... They reminded me of miniature piranha.

They do look like a mini piranha! I don't mind a species only tank, or one species plus an bottom feeder. The store also had an adult sunfish, a longear this time I think. Its tempting to go back for it.

A school of BA tetras is so cool to look at. I agree as well that they can be mean little suckers. Also forget planting the tank if you have them in there, they will devour even the thickest of leaves (atleast in my experience).

Apparently nobody but walmart and this store sells them in our area as of right now. So I'm gonna wait for the pet store to get more seeing as they are cheaper. But another store had a big sale. Tetras and barbs were 3 for .94 or 3 for 1.89 depending on what kind. I got some black tetras to keep him company for now.

Back
Top Bottom