bulging upside down catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
my upside down catfish ive noticed has an incredibly large stomach, like an oto's but magnified.

is this normal for upside cats to have a stomach like this

again, sorry not pics, as i do not have a digital camera

I know that for a lot of catfish, their stomachs seem like balloons. I've seen pics of plecos with seemingly large stomachs, but unfortunatly I don't know if it's normal.

My columbian catfish would have a stretched/bulging belly after eating.

If it has happened all of the sudden, you could try shelled peas as a sort of fish laxative

sorry at my lack of knowledge, hopefully someone else can help out.

Could be you have a female: I've heard that to sex Mochokidae it's usually based on how 'rounded' they are (females are the rounder).
Thinking on it, I just recently got three myself (two petricola and one multipunctatus): the multipunctatus has got quite the belly on it compared with the other two so I suspect it may be female.

Try feeding peas anyway (can't do any harm).

Is the stomach recently swollen? Without pics it is hard to tell if this is normal. What are your water parameters and have you changed the diet at all?

water params are fine, (s)he's been boated for a few days really, but swims fine. just goofy looking, if you've ever seen a 7 month old pregnant woman, and imagine that stomach on a fish...

Back
Top Bottom