Bullseye!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little more information i found

Cited:
(About.com)
Paul Shafland
Dr. Walter Courtenay
Jon Fury
Dr. Jeffrey Hill

I can see how someone can get worried about a fish like this.. there are a lot of mis-conceptions about this fish. And with the cops that are out running the streets now , I totally believe that they would have done what OP is saying they did, ESPECIALLY if they were raiding an illegal drug bust.

I was reading all of this , i just had to research this for my self. Seeing one of these things working its way across my living room floor would scare the crap out of me too! But shooting it was not necessary. From what i have read, they have been found in waters in parts of Florida.
All day I've been linking and quoting this article ^^^ and these scientists facts and nay saying of the media's hype.
They're too enthralled with the horror stories to listen.

All day I've been linking and quoting this article ^^^ and these scientists facts and nay saying of the media's hype.
They're too enthralled with the horror stories to listen.

I just quoted a different part of the same article and added some bolds.. I liked the hollywood horror thing , thats why i threw it all in there.. It kinda says in plain english that there is no need to fear this fish, reguardless of what you heard..

i bet if for some strange reason this thing decided to get ya in the leg or something though , i would hurt pretty good... But just like everything in the wild.. they will run away from you. They will usually only attack if they are cornered..

And that they are a non native species, and eat native species. They had some that they had cut open and found all sorts of different things. Birds, frogs and fish for example. The females, from what I heard, lay thousands of eggs....They have a labrynth organ right behind their eyes, which makes it easier for them to stay alive out of the water. I never said they were going to crawl across land and attack your kids in the playground, I meant more like, you could stick them in a bucket and they would survive, just like the catfish up here, so don't take my comments out of context please.
I DO NOT like fish in the water I swim in, especially fish that have teeth, and I will only swim in water where I can see the bottom. It is a phobia of mine. So, no, I WILL NOT ever swim where they are, just like I said.

Geeze, all I saw was a guy posting a story, and everyone gets up on their soap boxes. Chill, folks.

I didnt read i just see alot of what Heath said but may i poke a hole in the story (i cant not say it being a snakehead/monster fish fan. They would not come out and hunt the people, lol. They come out of water and breathe so they can go to a new water source for food. THAT is why they are so dangerous in the wild. lol, you made them sound like a tiger on the hunt.

Geeze, all I saw was a guy posting a story, and everyone gets up on their soap boxes. Chill, folks.

lol to the soap box thing.

Yeah i agree.. dude was kinda attacked huh?

Probably chased him off from not only his own thread , but probably the whole forum..

Uncalled for?
Someone post a BS laced story in a online forum, guess what, they open themselves up to world's input, good or bad.
I call'em as I see'em, pull no punches and no sugar coating.

img_1115798_0_d9572d716a09660ef5bd5691b15993a5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummmm, it wasn't a BS story. Did you actually READ what he posted? The police came to his neighbors house, and they had the snakefish in their tank, how are you to know if it's BS when he saw it first hand?

Yes, it was.

Police are not going to be discharging their weapons at 3am, in a residential area to kill fish, not when a state wildlife guy is supposedly there to take the fish away.

Rubbish, lies, exaggeration, fluff, tall tales... BS!

Go watch another episode of River Monsters, and believe every word.

eh.. police love to get a reson to discharge their weapon around my area. I seen a cop dispatch a deer with a PA game commissioner right beside him... The official could have asked the cop to deal with the fish.

Wild life officals do not carry weapons. Only tools.

Actually by law you kill snakefish by site. If you catch them you killl them, you see them you kill them. They destroy that much wildlife. And please keep your atitude down, there is no need for such harsh acronyms and there is no way you could know 100% that story was true or not. And until you can it should be considered true and you could have chased away (and probably did) a loyal member. I just stated a fact about the fishes biology was wrong.

The Northern Snakehead is native to the waters of China, and possibly Korea and Russia. They are found in a wide variety of habitats and can breathe out of water from 3 to 7 days. Even though it is slow and typically unsuccessful, the Snakehead has the ability to move from one body of water to another by using its pectoral fins. They have sharp teeth like a pickerel or a pike and their maximum length can reach up to 33 inches. Coloration is generally tan with dark brown mottling. Snakehead have no natural predators in the U.S. and they are voracious carnivores. If you catch this fish, do not put it back in the water and call the nearest DNR Operations Service Center.
Apparently they don't want it released, and what do you think the cops were gonna do with it? Put it in with their guppies???

Out of the water Snakeheads rhythmically move their fins and muscular bodies back and forth: the fish equivalent of walking . . . It's a resourceful adaptation. [In their native Asia they must survive both wet and dry weather cycles like monsoons and droughts.]

Snakeheads became the focus of a lot of media attention when living and breeding specimens were found wild in U.S. waters. The natural habitats for Snakeheads are located in Africa and South East Asia. Snakeheads are highly capable predators and will consume prey as large as half their own size. Snakeheads could therefore possibly disrupt the U.S. fauna and cause irreparable changes, since Snakeheads are not a natural part of the U.S. ecosystems. To avoid this from happening, importing Snakeheads to the U.S. is illegal since 2003.
Why would they be illegal if they were not a threat???

Why so much press just for a fish? The Northern Snakehead, Channa argus, is no ordinary fish, biologists explain. It is a voracious top-level predator, meaning that it has no natural enemies, and could decimate populations of native fish. About 90% of its diet consists of other fish, though it also eats crustaceans, insects, and plants. In its native range it can live in water with temperatures ranging from 0 to 30 degrees C; it is found in muddy or vegetated ponds, swamps, and slow-moving streams. Snakeheads can breathe air and survive for up to four days out of water, and can survive for longer periods of time when burrowed in the mud. They are capable of traveling over land to new bodies of water by wriggling their bodies over the ground. These features are adaptations to the seasonal drying of shallow bodies of water in the snakeheads native habitat in China and allow it to disperse widely should local conditions become unfavorable. It is capable of surviving in much of North America should it become established. An established population of snakeheads in Maryland could have long-term disastrous consequences for the ecology of the region.

What should I do if I see or catch a snakehead?

• REPORT any caught or observed snakehead to DEC's regional fisheries office.
  • If you catch one, DO NOT RELEASE it. Kill it immediately, freeze it and report your catch. Take a digital photo if possible
From: Northern Snakehead Fish - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Q: What can the public do to help fight this invasive species?
A: The Commission asks anglers, hunters and outdoor enthusiasts not to transplant fish, game, non-game wildlife and plants. Exotic species of all types, not just snakeheads, pose a potential ecological risk when introduced into new ecosystems.
The N. C. Wildlife Resources Commission requests that anglers who think they have caught a snakehead, to keep it, freeze it or place it on ice.

Not once have I seen "Release it, it's harmless," or "Put it in your home aquarium, it makes a GREAT pet."
If you want more info, I can post it for you....

What should I do if I see or catch a snakehead?
REPORT any caught or observed snakehead to DEC's regional fisheries office.
If you catch one, DO NOT RELEASE it. Kill it immediately, freeze it and report your catch. Take a digital photo if possible

And see i know my stuff, GJ DK. How do you pull this stuff up so easy, always takes me an hour to pull this stuff up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what to look for, and IT DOESN'T come from about.com....which is just regular people posting what they think. I find the government websites.

I know what to look for, and IT DOESN'T come from about.com....which is just regular people posting what they think. I find the government websites.

Thats were i have problems, The "government site".

it is true that a snakehead is a nuisance to the economy, but as a pet they are a marvelous!!! i would never release one to the wild, but as a person that admires predators, i really love the snakehead!!!

Back
Top Bottom