Bumble Bee Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about getting a South American Bumble Bee Catfish and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them? The site I was reading said they get up to 2" and may eat slender tank mates, but would they eat younger cories? Or are cories to fat for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 2. One is 3" and the other is pushing 4" lol. Both full grown and have never eaten a tank mate. I have a small apisto and a couple smaller rummies that could definitely fit in the bigger ones mouth but no issues. I keep them well fed too though

I have 2. One is 3" and the other is pushing 4" lol. Both full grown and have never eaten a tank mate. I have a small apisto and a couple smaller rummies that could definitely fit in the bigger ones mouth but no issues. I keep them well fed too though

Okay that makes me feel better. Are they active in the aquarium?

Only at night. They hide during the day

Will they come out to eat during feeding time?

I have two as well. Id say they're around 3". Its a rare treat if I ever see them out in the open, so not easy to measure them. I shine a flashlight into their hiding spots about once a week to make sure they're still alive. Dont let that discourage you though. The fact that they only pop out once in a while is part of their appeal (IMO).
I dont have them with any fish that are small enough for them to eat, but the general rule of thumb is that if a fish can fit in its mouth then it is potential food. I would be especially concerned for any small, curious cory that decides to sniff around to close.

Let me add this:
If you get one, make sure you get the South American one. There is an Asian Bumblebee Catfish that is much more aggressive and gets much larger.

Yes, defiantly the South American! I won't make that mistake! Lol

You'll never see them unless you move their hiding place, then it's a brief glimpse as they zoom around and find another hiding spot. Strictly nocturnal catfish IME, don't stock neon tetras or bumblebee gobies with them. Cory cats should be safe enough, wrong shape and spiny.

So will buying one be a waste of money if I never see it?

Maybe, but not as bad as a zebra pleco LOL. If you want a catfish to control cichlid or livebearer fry they're very useful. If you want something pretty or cool to look at, choose another fish. They're actually better kept in groups, not sure if that would make them more visible though. Had one waaay back in the days of slate bottom/metal framed tanks. Lived inside a sunken ship ornament, and if you turned on the (incadescent hood) light after dark you'd see it dashing for its home, never any other time unless you stripped down the tank. Take out the ship, it would dig out a burrow in the gravel under a large rock and hide there.
I do know that Synodontis petricola and multipunctatus are much more active/visible in groups, particularly at feeding time, if you just have one you'll never see it.

Maybe, but not as bad as a zebra pleco LOL. If you want a catfish to control cichlid or livebearer fry they're very useful. If you want something pretty or cool to look at, choose another fish. They're actually better kept in groups, not sure if that would make them more visible though. Had one waaay back in the days of slate bottom/metal framed tanks. Lived inside a sunken ship ornament, and if you turned on the (incadescent hood) light after dark you'd see it dashing for its home, never any other time unless you stripped down the tank. Take out the ship, it would dig out a burrow in the gravel under a large rock and hide there.
I do know that Synodontis petricola and multipunctatus are much more active/visible in groups, particularly at feeding time, if you just have one you'll never see it.

Okay I think that answers my question! I already have a clown pleco I never see, I don't want 2 fish constantly MIA! Lol, I'll continue to look for another.

30 gallon, nothing yet, I'm planning stock. It's going to be a SA blackwater biotope with angels, tetras, and cories

Apisto's or a small CA cichlid species would fit better than angels, particularly if they paired up and started spawning. If you don't end up with a pair you'd only be able to keep one angel, not enough space for 2 to establish separate territories. A pair of Cryptoheros like cutteri or sajica, even Honduran red points would work well. They only claim a small territory, and are generally pretty tolerant of other species like tetras and cory cats IME.

Apisto's or a small CA cichlid species would fit better than angels, particularly if they paired up and started spawning. If you don't end up with a pair you'd only be able to keep one angel, not enough space for 2 to establish separate territories. A pair of Cryptoheros like cutteri or sajica, even Honduran red points would work well. They only claim a small territory, and are generally pretty tolerant of other species like tetras and cory cats IME.

A few people told me apistos wouldn't work because they will go after my cories. I was looking at them and rams for a while

More likely to chase them out of their territory, Cory cat's aren't territorial fish and seem pretty clueless about the whole deal.

More likely to chase them out of their territory, Cory cat's aren't territorial fish and seem pretty clueless about the whole deal.

But wouldn't the apisto kill them if they keep invading?

Back
Top Bottom