Bumble Bee Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never kept Cory cats with cichlids, but have kept loads of BN pleco's with them. Never lost any to aggression from the cichlids, they learn pretty quickly to stay away. Cory cats also have bony plates all over their bodies, worst I can imagine Apisto's would do would be nip their fins.

I never kept Cory cats with cichlids, but have kept loads of BN pleco's with them. Never lost any to aggression from the cichlids, they learn pretty quickly to stay away. Cory cats also have bony plates all over their bodies, worst I can imagine Apisto's would do would be nip their fins.

Okay, I may get the tetras and Cory's into the tank, then think about what the big fish will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Idk, maybe I'll just scrap the South American tank idea and get whatever fish catch my eye that are compatible. I have no idea what the big fish in the tank is going to be... Either it's eating my cories, being picked on by tetras, or attacked by it's own kind... No happy medium fish yet.

While I didn't do it on purpose, the tank I have my SA Bumblebee Cats in also houses only other South American fish. So it can be done.

While I didn't do it on purpose, the tank I have my SA Bumblebee Cats in also houses only other South American fish. So it can be done.

I'm just not sure what to put as my big fish... I've wanted angels for a while but I need to buy them young and may end up with 2 males but the apistos and rams may go after my cories so I'm not sure what other big fish I can have in there...

Hmmm... Im not really sure how to help you there. I've never felt the need to specifically pick a "Big Fish" or "Centerpiece" fish when I decide on what to stock. Just take your time and you'll figure it out. :)

Hmmm... Im not really sure how to help you there. I've never felt the need to specifically pick a "Big Fish" or "Centerpiece" fish when I decide on what to stock. Just take your time and you'll figure it out. :)

I sure hope so... I'll go stroll my LFS for ideas later I guess, if anyone else has any suggestions feel free

Gourami's are a popular "centerpiece" fish for mixed community tanks. Need to avoid fin-nipping tetras or barbs with them, same as angels. If you don't stock a fish with long trailing fin rays you have a wider variety of options, a group of tiger barbs would make a colorful and active display. If you stocked dwarf chain loaches instead of Cory cats they'd really liven things up, generally active enough to compete with tiger barbs or similar species.

Cories are a must, it was my intent to have only South American species but I'm having a hard time making it work in such a small tank

Cories are a must, it was my intent to have only South American species but I'm having a hard time making it work in such a small tank

Why don't you get a Bolivian ram they look great and are on the more peaceful side in the cichlid family.

Why don't you get a Bolivian ram they look great and are on the more peaceful side in the cichlid family.

That's a thought... Will they go after cories? I don't mind the way those guys look! Do they need to be in groups?

Also hard to find just the right fish at your lfs? Most of my fish were sourced online or from aquarium club meetings/auctions. More and bigger tanks also help, that way you can move fish around if necessary, or dedicate a tank to breeding/growing out fry.

if you what a fish that is harmless and you see alot off get a few yoyo loachs
they keep the tank clean and don't stop moving top to bottom and every inch of the tank

Back
Top Bottom