bye bye hair algae !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a SERIOUS hair algae problem in the 29G. I'm not one for buying a fish to solve a problem, but I was at the LFS today intending to get a Florida Flag Fish (why not, I'm from Florida, fly a flag, and have fish ! LOL). I've always skipped over the entire barb section of any LFS - was just never interested. When I asked for the flag fish and mentioned my hair algae the LFS employee asked me if I wouldn't prefer Rosy Barbs. Then he brought me over to see them. I now have a pair (m/f) of beautiful long finned Rosy Barbs in the tank. Within 15 minutes of being released they started chowing on the hair algae - and let me tell you, they shall be well fed !!! LOL

Rosey barbs are excellent, but they will shred anything that's fuzzy, like Java moss and fine needle plants.

The long fin ones are not as hard to catch and deal with, they are pretty also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom, thanks for the extra info on the Rosey barbs. this tank doesn't have java moss and although I do like hornwort I guess I'll be leaving that off the list in this one now !

Back
Top Bottom