(CAE)- advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayjsizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
My partner got 3x Chinese algae eaters from the LFS under the pretense of them being suckerfish. When I started looking them up to get a care card for them I read that as they mature they become extremely aggressive. To the point they will kill most fish in your tank.

I could remove them and house them in there own tanks but I don't really want to just to house a cleaning crew fish.

Has anyone had this problem and what did you do?

I haven't had that problem yet (although I have two plecos that I need to find home too since they will grow up to 24" and I only have a 10G for now, ha).

But I think you can bring it back to the LFS where your partner got them. They do get aggressive as they mature that's why I didn't choose them. Or you can find someone in here who wants them that is located near you. You can put them in the classified forum here.

And yes, housing them separately is not really gonna help you with their being aggressive. Just try the LFS again and see if they can take them back for a store credit.

Hey thanks. I'm not sure if they will take them back but ill ask.

Would they go ok in a Oscar tank or something as they get older?
Strange question I know but I'm just thinking at least a big Oscar could give as good as it got.

No, it is not a strange question. But unfortunately, I cannot speak for the oscar fish coz I haven't had one yet.

More experts might be able to tell you soon....

If they are still little and the experts here can tell you a good solution for the 3 of them, then maybe you don't have to bring them back to the LFS.

First make sure they are Chinese not Siamese. I haven't experience with the Siamese but it's supposed to be less aggressive.

What you have read is true of Chinese. I would return and get some other kind of suckerfish if you feel you need a clean up crew. A few Ottos would do great if your other fish wouldn't eat them.

Tim Wheatley said:
First make sure they are Chinese not Siamese. I haven't experience with the Siamese but it's supposed to be less aggressive.

What you have read is true of Chinese. I would return and get some other kind of suckerfish if you feel you need a clean up crew. A few Ottos would do great if your other fish wouldn't eat them.

I found some pics when I was looking them up. They are the same as the pics.

You need an army of otos to do any amount of cleaning but they will get the job done. Snails are also good options for clean up crews. My 4 otos take about 6 hours to finish 1 algae wafer. As you can tell they don't eat much.

Back
Top Bottom