Caleb's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I almost want to think it's a tumor. I would think he just swallowed air but the bump is a problem, unless it's physically distending him?. I think you need a pocket diseasemaster bandit, not a loachmaster :facepalm:

I almost want to think it's a tumor. I would think he just swallowed air but the bump is a problem, unless it's physically distending him?. I think you need a pocket diseasemaster bandit, not a loachmaster :facepalm:

If you still have Instagram I'm going to direct message you (it's the box in the top right corner) a picture of what it looks like because imgur is being finicky.

Caleb

I'm not on/don't have the instagram app so i don't think I can see messages :facepalm:

Theory is that it's a viral illness. Did some reading about weather loach susceptability, seems very consistent with the symptoms except for the floating which may be from swallowing air and being too sick to pass it?

I'm not on/don't have the instagram app so i don't think I can see messages :facepalm:

Theory is that it's a viral illness. Did some reading about weather loach susceptability, seems very consistent with the symptoms except for the floating which may be from swallowing air and being too sick to pass it?

Yikes! Suggesting QT? Anything to keep the others safe.

Caleb

Yikes! Suggesting QT? Anything to keep the others safe.

Caleb

Absolutely QT. Or euthanize even. Probably a 50% survival rate if that at this point. You might also want to post on loaches.com forum, those people are extra loach-crazy and might be able to help you although it's not very active on there...

Absolutely QT. Or euthanize even. Probably a 50% survival rate if that at this point. You might also want to post on loaches.com forum, those people are extra loach-crazy and might be able to help you although it's not very active on there...

Sad day, but I'll see if I can find the clove oil.

Caleb

By chance do you have a link for that disease? I'd like to read about it. And maybe know how mine got it...

Caleb

Sorry to hear that Caleb. You sure it isn't correctable? Dior is it too late already? From what I've seen you post about them before it's gotta be sad for you :(

This is unlike anything I've ever seen. It's kinda sad.

I'm hitting up the LFS and maybe they have some clove oil. I'd like to give him some more time for recovery but if he's suffering I'm going to do it. I don't like seeing a fish suffer because of my high hopes he will get better so I just end it.

Caleb

I see a white patch but no lump...and 1/2 a conversation?
Is this one of the loaches that was in the canister filter?
The link to hidden viral says often bacterial issues are mistaken for viral and vice/versa....
You all know what I would say...
I will say I don't see clear enough to point at one diagnosis, but without that I would be using the meds to cure my FAVORITE.:whistle:
If it is viral then no harm in treatment except to wallet.
If it is not viral you may have helped.

I wiegh the cost of fish,my other stock and treatment.
Sorry about your loach Caleb,and if you think euthanizing is correct then get to it with out hesitation.
It is part of keeping fish eventually for most of us.
sini and agree on a lot and then not on some things.
I know what literature says about freezing slowly like in freezer(not for me or my fish),but if I can't feed a cull to a fish(Mr. mini grouper) then I ice cube a glass of water.
Never had a fish last longer then 10 seconds.

For what it's worth Bandit I just stick to University/IACUC standards for euthanasia- they aren't "right", they're just what I've learned in my lab career, and they explicitly forbid icewater- but these standards are written for big fish (y) I realized I was wrong about icewater- being cruel for small enough fish.

^I completely agree^

Size matters!:facepalm:
Let everyone take this out of context...:lol:

You would need a cooler and 3 bags of ice for some large fish:oops:
The volume of ice water to mass of fish must be overwhelming to be efficient IMO(y)

A couple of ice cubes won't drop an Oscar....
:nono:

I should add that the university standards for some things are in fact WRONG- invertebrates in particular get 0 consideration.... I watched a grad student twist and pull off the tail of a live unsedated lobster and dig around for tissue samples while it thrashed on the direction tray......

Bandit is right, antibiotic may be in order.

That's awful Sini. I don't even eat seafood but that's for health reasons lol minor allergy.

So let's say he has a fighting chance. What antibiotics should I be in the market for? Unless it's like a guppy or a zebra danio I'm not one to put a price on something. I'll treat it if I can help it recover.

Caleb

kanamycin(sea chem kanaplex)
and nitrofuazone(api furan 2)
For my favorite issue it is 3 treatments given every other day along with water change.
Treatment can be extended x2-3 before a break should be given.
Was he in the canister???

Back
Top Bottom