Can a Betta get burned by a heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I think that may be what it is, but still must be caused by something.

All I see is a serious scrape on one side, no swelling or other external indicators. He's eating and cruising around just fine so I'm not getting many indictors that it's anything other than a self inflicted war wound.

I have one male that I have to be diligent to keep snails out his tank because he'll scrap his face on their shells trying to eat them. :ermm: lol

I have one male that I have to be diligent to keep snails out his tank because he'll scrap his face on their shells trying to eat them. :ermm: lol

Interesting that you mention snails, because the Zebra striped nerite in the tank has taken to camping out in Elvis' favorite spot from time to time. You don't think the snail could have done the damage do you?

I've never seen Elvis go after any of the his tank mates, but he doesn't tolerate them invading his space so when the snails was there, he was PO'd lol.

I guess if it got onto him somehow it could have..I've never seen that happen but it seems possible. Nerites have those scraping teeth ya know. Hmm. Wierd.

I have a male in a community tank that is so awesome. I was worried when I added the kuhli loaches becaues they are so worm like and zip around so fast..but he never bothers anyone.

The spot on his side is about the right size, but i just don't see an edgy betta sitting still for a split second where the nerite could inflict that kind of damage.

Morning update:

Elvis is looking good, the scar is about the same as yesterday (no better/no worse).

Gonna get some BettaFix today and start treating for the wound, but if I see signs of velvet, can I do the BettaFix and Quick Cure at the same time?

Mr. Limpet said:
Morning update:

Elvis is looking good, the scar is about the same as yesterday (no better/no worse).

Gonna get some BettaFix today and start treating for the wound, but if I see signs of velvet, can I do the BettaFix and Quick Cure at the same time?

It's never a good idea to use two medication at the same time.

Morning update:

Good idea, if it is velvet, heat will speed it up and you should know before long. If you ended up needing to switch meds, I would just do a large pwc first and discontinue use of the bettafix. ;)

I had one of those marineland stealth heaters that was recalled run perfectly and I still use it even with the recall in place. On the other hand, I had my fluval blow up on me when it got just a tiny bit out of the water while still hot.

I think fluval is fine, just don't put it in a sump or anything w/ a varying livel

Good idea, if it is velvet, heat will speed it up and you should know before long. If you ended up needing to switch meds, I would just do a large pwc first and discontinue use of the bettafix. ;)

He's doing good. I was looking at the BettaFix and it's the exact same thing as MelaFix. Can i just use the melafix at 1/5 the normal dosage? I have a bottle of that and I hate to have 2 bottles sitting around getting old.

Mr. Limpet said:
He's doing good. I was looking at the BettaFix and it's the exact same thing as MelaFix. Can i just use the melafix at 1/5 the normal dosage? I have a bottle of that and I hate to have 2 bottles sitting around getting old.

Yes, I believe siva actually mentioned to use 1/5 of melafix if u are gonna use it :) and good to hear he's doin good! And just a side note! My Betta loves hang around the suction cup of my thermometer?! Weird hey! Alright good luck

Yes, I believe siva actually mentioned to use 1/5 of melafix if u are gonna use it :) and good to hear he's doin good! And just a side note! My Betta loves hang around the suction cup of my thermometer?! Weird hey! Alright good luck

Yep, well he said that bettafix is 1/5 the strength of melafix, so I did a 1/5 dose of it earlier and everyone in the tank seems fine so far and Elvis is showing them he's the KING! lol

Thanks Hubert!

Elvis Update: He seems to be doing great, can't say his side is looking any better, but no worse either. No signs of Velvet, but he is getting used to being in the spot light as it were lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
Elvis Update: He seems to be doing great, can't say his side is looking any better, but no worse either. No signs of Velvet, but he is getting used to being in the spot light as it were lol.

That's great to hear :) ya wounds tends take 4ver to heal. Like my goldfish scales takes ages to grow!

Back
Top Bottom