Can a betta survive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Survival and prospering are very different things. Yes a betta can survive in a 1 gallon provided its kept at the proper temp, filtered, pwc's are done, its fed, etc. how ever even for a beta a 1 gallon is small. Most recommend at least 5g per betta.

It's currently in a turd cube (on of those one quart, cubes with the decorative backround.) I plan to cycle (do you cycle in FW tanks? I believe so.) It will have a filter and light, maybe Ill buy a moss ball. Would that help?

It's currently in a turd cube (on of those one quart, cubes with the decorative backround.) I plan to cycle (do you cycle in FW tanks? I believe so.) It will have a filter and light, maybe Ill buy a moss ball. Would that help?

No, a 1 gallon tank is cruel for a Betta. In a 1 gallon they will hardly move at all, in a 5+ gallon they will actively swim around and are interesting to watch.
You really can't heat or filter a 1 gallon either, its a bit too small for that.
A betta can survive in it yes, just as you can survive in a prison cell as long as you're given food.

Saltwater kits don't really work well for freshwater, you need a different color chart for some, but others(I believe nitrite) work with the same color chart.

Cruel? Oh, gosh, I had no intention of being cruel, I just figured It would be a whole lot better than the unfiltered, unlit, turd cube. No offense, but I think I want a few more opinions on the size and swimming space...

Yes a betta can survive in a 1g, and sometimes even flourish in a 1g. I have had a betta (and know many other people who have had the same thing occur) that disliked the 5g tank that I put him in when I realized 1g wasn't probably the best. He would stay in a corner of the tank and sit on the bottom. I put him in a 2.5g same thing occurred. He loved his 1g. It can be done and sometimes is even preferred by the betta. I would just make sure to keep an eye on the parameters and the heat. There are some really awesome planted bowl journals out there that you could try. (If you could, I'd try to find at least a 2g bowl or perhaps try a 2.5g out they really don't take up much room and are MUCH easier to maintain).

Also, do API test kits work for freshwater? Is there a difference between those kits?
I'm guessing that you have the saltwater one don't you? From what I've collected they are the same test but with different cards. I use my freshwater one on my salt tank. I just look up the card online... This is the site I use: Downloads; Pump and filter Instructions, Test Kit charts
You can also get a card (either free or for a little) by contacting API and they'll send it over.

Yes you cycle freshwater tanks, just remember the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain the cycle. Moss balls and other decorations would create a safe enviroment.

What?! You can get a five and a half gallon for that price at Petco? Crap. I already ordered the one gallon.

why did you ask for advice on something after already making a decision

No, a 1 gallon tank is cruel for a Betta. In a 1 gallon they will hardly move at all, in a 5+ gallon they will actively swim around and are interesting to watch.
You really can't heat or filter a 1 gallon either, its a bit too small for that.
A betta can survive in it yes, just as you can survive in a prison cell as long as you're given food.

Saltwater kits don't really work well for freshwater, you need a different color chart for some, but others(I believe nitrite) work with the same color chart.
I've filtered a one gallon before with lots of room to spare. It's the Walmart Aqua Culture 1 Gallon Starter Kit. I added Tetra Whisper 1-3i.

I've filtered a one gallon before with lots of room to spare. It's the Walmart Aqua Culture 1 Gallon Starter Kit. I added Tetra Whisper 1-3i.

It doesn't really do much good, you still have to do a close to 100% water change every few days either way.

It is no harder to maintain a cycle in a 1g than in larger tank. What is difficult is keeping nitrates down. The smaller the tank the faster the nitrates rise. The temperature will be hard to keep stable also. Small amounts of water are hard to keep stable. A betta can live in a gallon bowl/tank but IMO a 2.5g or more is better. If you've ordered the 1g thats fine. It is far better than the cube he is in now. You can aways upgrade later on if he seems to need more space or you are having trouble keeping the water in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom