Can a fish laying on the bottom be fed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dora

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a bad fin/tail rot situation. My water perimeters are basically the same as listed in this topic:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=96036

Last Sunday, I discovered a glow light tetra laying on the floor of my main tank. It was still alive so I moved it to my hospital tank where I am currently treating my 3 corys for fin and tail rot with Tank Buddies Fungus Clear.

Is there a way to feed this tetra if it's laying on its back? I think its problem is fin/tail rot because its tail fin is split down the middle. I have seen improvement in my 3 corys' tails after using FC for about three weeks so I'm hoping the tetra's fins and tail will start growing too. But it's a race against time since the tetra will get weaker without food so it may not have enough strength to swim even if its tail improves.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's entirely your choice whether you try and feed the fish. You can try target feeding it. Usually if it is lying on it's back there is no hope. Does it move if you put your hand near it? I would suspect the fish won't eat no matter what. Is he breathing heavily? Only you can decide whether to keep trying or to euthanize.

Zagz said:
It's entirely your choice whether you try and feed the fish. You can try target feeding it. Usually if it is lying on it's back there is no hope. Does it move if you put your hand near it? I would suspect the fish won't eat no matter what. Is he breathing heavily? Only you can decide whether to keep trying or to euthanize.
He is able to move and jump up a little. I think he's trying to swim. I've seen him lay on his side as well as on his back and he is breathing heavily. I put some frozen blood worms right over him tonight. Some of the blood worms landed close to him but I can't say whether or not he ate any.

As for euthanizing, I'm afraid that's out of the question. My eleven-year-old daughter was very upset when I euthanized one of our other glow light tetras last year. She believes fish would rather go naturally if they're going to die. She wants me to try saving this one. I know it doesn't look good, but I want to at least try.

Can you explain to your daughter that it is more humane? That you are stopping him from suffering? It is your decision but as we have all mentioned, there is likely no hope for the little guy. If it were me personally, I would euthanize. I know this is hard for you and your daughter.

i seen at petco the other day all the glow light tetras they had had pretty bad tail rot .had ottos that got it and couldnt swim real good no more . its not easy to let them go but it stops there suffering. i tryed every thing like you have and had no luck so i had to let them go couldnt watch them suffer no more.

I know you're all probably right... :cry:

I guess I've got a decision to make.

I wish there was some kind of nutrient that could be added to water that fish could absorb through their skins. The Fungus Clear definitely helped the corys and I know it could help this guy with time.

BTW, moved the 3 corys from the hospital tank back to the main tank yesterday. This little guy is all alone now.

just wait till she goes to school and do what ya got to do and just tell her the fish passed on i know ya dont lie to kids but this is a good thing in this case . i have 4 kids myself and my 4 year old just lost her turtle it was her first pet it broke her heart but shes ok now i got her a new one you could do the same thing .

Back
Top Bottom