Can i add a ADF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a 63l cycled tank, currently housing 1 male Betta and 2 Oto cats.

And as the thread title states can I add a ADF to this setup with worrying about overstocking?

This is more of a "can I" scenario for the future not right now but I thought I'd be best to know now so I can start planning.

i dont think the ADF will fit in there, they seem to do better with 20gallons, but as a grow out would be fine. and then theres the betta and adf compatibility, not sure they go so well. then again, theyr stuck together in a lfs so cant be too bad?

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
i dont think the ADF will fit in there, they seem to do better with 20gallons, but as a grow out would be fine. and then theres the betta and adf compatibility, not sure they go so well. then again, theyr stuck together in a lfs so cant be too bad?

Well I've read that the ADF is a comparable tank mate (all comes down to the Betta really) on many sites.

And I wouldnt based comparability on what a LFS may do, I have one near me that had a Male Betta mislabeled as a female :(

same! my male siamese long fin got shredded by a "female" i bought. that "female" then proceded to spawn with the other female..... lol.
its just about the tank size. remind me sorry how big do ADF get? x

Just keep an eye on the ADF if you get one. They need to come up for air periodically and will do so very quickly, and they aren't the best swimmers, so be sure the height of the water isn't higher than 16". Also it might ram into the betta and any other decor you have in there so keep an eye on it. They are also nearly blind so you'll probably need to target feed it. H&H Frog and Tadpole bites are a good food for them, supplemented with some meaty foods here and there as well. They are also very social creatures and need to be in a group of at least 3 to feel comfortable, so, if you can set up a smaller tank just for them it might be better.

Back
Top Bottom