Can I add SA Cichlids to this setup???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
and if-so what kind do you recommend? 75 gallon tank.... ac110 and ac70 filters.. currently stocked with 16 tiger barbs, 10 corys, and 1 rainbow shark.. i have sand substrate.. I was looking to add a couple showcase fish if i could... someone one mentioned a red spotted severum.. I called around to 8 different petshops and no one carries these... any other new world cichlids that would go good in this setup? i guess more common easily found cichlids? im staying away from africans as i dont think they will mesh with my tiger barbs and i dont have rock setups..only normal driftwood and such(would love afraicans but i dont think i have the setup for them)...thanks for the ideas......

What's your ph and harness like? Some cichlids can be picky about those numbers...

I have a 75 gallon with apistogramma macmasteri...I love them

An angelfish might be nice but the barbs might nip...

Have you tried aquabid in regards to the severum? Btw they'll tear up plants if you have any...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

we shall see if i made a mistake..i decided to get a blood red parrot... i upped my tiger barbs to 21 in total... in the hope they keep agression to each other... im thinking the parrot should be ok sizewise in a 75 gallon tank...he is TINY... by the time he is full grown in a couple years the the barbs and the corys and the rainbow shark will also be full grown and i assume wont fit in the parrots mouth.... I tried to do as much research on the parrot as i can find... do you think i will regret this purchase?

we shall see if i made a mistake..i decided to get a blood red parrot... i upped my tiger barbs to 21 in total... in the hope they keep agression to each other... im thinking the parrot should be ok sizewise in a 75 gallon tank...he is TINY... by the time he is full grown in a couple years the the barbs and the corys and the rainbow shark will also be full grown and i assume wont fit in the parrots mouth.... I tried to do as much research on the parrot as i can find... do you think i will regret this purchase?

I would regret it, because I would never purchase a BRP. They're highly deformed from the hybridization and there are so many better naturally occurring species

Oh boy...i guess i didnt relize they were that deformed... if i look past that, are they docile cichlids? too late anyway, he is in tank right now...cute as hell also..

Yep they are super cute! Don't have any experience with their temperament tho...

I've got a baby angel and it's a gamble sometimes...

They can't actually bite, as their jaw is deformed, however I have heard of them ramming fish and stressing them out. I don't have much first hand experience as I can't stand them

They can't actually bite, as their jaw is deformed, however I have heard of them ramming fish and stressing them out. I don't have much first hand experience as I can't stand them

I have noticed that the ones at the 2 big box stores don't have the deformed mouths lately. Look more like a balloon midevil. I still agree with Freak though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom