Can I fit 2 cory cats and 6 more neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks you! I know common goldfish have been able to adapt to warmer waters perfectly fine but not fancys

Actually I found my fancy goldfish needed the warmer temps and did much better when I put a heater in their tank. That was advice I got from this forum years ago. The last one died when I accidentally unplugged the heater.

For the OP I do agree with others the goldfish will contribute a lot to overstocking (bio-load) a tank that size.

The biggest difference between canister and HOB filters is that canister filters, depending on the size bought, can usually hold a lot more media than HOB's.

One other thing is that when keeping large bodied, heavy bioload fish, which is mostly what you have you need to clean a canister every 2 or 3 weeks. Any filter that is used in such a tank stock needs to be cleaned a lot more frequently as nitrates can quickly build up in the mechanical media if it isn't rinsed or changed on a regular basis.

One other thing is down the road if you don't rehome the barb and common GF is that that both can become quite aggressive and fish such as neons can end up being a tasty meal. Not to mention the sheer size they can both attain and the tank size the both would require.

The biggest difference between canister and HOB filters is that canister filters, depending on the size bought, can usually hold a lot more media than HOB's.

One other thing is that when keeping large bodied, heavy bioload fish, which is mostly what you have you need to clean a canister every 2 or 3 weeks. Any filter that is used in such a tank stock needs to be cleaned a lot more frequently as nitrates can quickly build up in the mechanical media if it isn't rinsed or changed on a regular basis.

One other thing is down the road if you don't rehome the barb and common GF is that that both can become quite aggressive and fish such as neons can end up being a tasty meal. Not to mention the sheer size they can both attain and the tank size the both would require.

Wow thank you for all of the info on canister filters! I don't think I would mind cleaning it every few weeks. Do you have any suggestions as of what brand has good canister filters that are relatively low cost (hey I'm on a budget! Lol)?

Hey everyone!!! I just want to thank everyone that contributed to my thread! Anyways, I have decided what filter I want to get!!!!!! I am going to pay the 50 bucks and get the Emporer 400 bio wheel (as soon as I get 50 bucks!) :dance: :dance: :dance:

Hey everyone!!! I just want to thank everyone that contributed to my thread! Anyways, I have decided what filter I want to get!!!!!! I am going to pay the 50 bucks and get the Emporer 400 bio wheel (as soon as I get 50 bucks!) :dance: :dance: :dance:

Good choice or I would jump on amazon and get x2 aqueon quiet flow 50/75s. They are 25$ each

Get the filter but don't buy any extra filter cartridges. After a couple of weeks just take the existing filter out and swish it around in tank water that you've just taken out of the tank while doing a water change. Since you will have 2 filters in the hob I would suggest only cleaning one filter one week and the other filter the next week. This reduces the chance of a mini tank cycle by keeping as much beneficial bacteria as possible. Best if luck to you.

Good choice or I would jump on amazon and get x2 aqueon quiet flow 50/75s. They are 25$ each

That's a great idea, but I'm really attracted to the bio wheels. I am huge on bio filtration, so I think it would be best. Plus, it comes with cartridges to put your own bio media :)

Hey, I have never had a Marineland filter before, but I have heard good things about them, is it a good brand? I mean, 50 bucks is a big investment on my budget! Lol

Mine too! And I'm fixing to spend like 400$ setting my cichlid tank up possibly more

Mine too! And I'm fixing to spend like 400$ setting my cichlid tank up possibly more

Well the way I figure is, if it's a good brand and is a good product, I don't mind spending the extra few bucks.

Hey what cichlids are you going to keep? I really like the African cichlids tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom