Can I keep a betta on a 10 gal. tank with ........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I keep a betta on a 10 gal. tank?.. with two sunburst platti's, a small pleco, 3 neon tetras, 2 upside-down catfish...would he/she fight with them?

you can't keep neons and bettas together, the neons will shred his fins, as for the rest of them i have no idea

yep I did some reserch and either the betta would eat small tetras or the tetras would nip on the betta,also they wouldn't get along with the pleco as they are both territorial.......but it seems they'll get along with the platties and upside-down catfish. so maybe i shouldn't add a betta..

All these fish together in a 10 gallon tank are not compatible, and also, the tank would be very overstocked.

I would not keep bettas with neons either - I have seen a group of neons nipping a betta. Maybe in a much larger tank, you could have a school of neons and a betta, although the situation would still need to be watched. I wouldn't even consider it for a 10 gallon.

I would not put upside down catfishes in a 10 gallon tank regardless of the other tankmates. I think you are talking about a fish in the Synodontis genus. These fish get much too big for a 10 gallon, even though they are considered a dwarf synodontis.

A small pleco may be only small for a short time. Common plecos will outgrow a 10 gallon tank quickly. Plecos also like cooler water (76-78 degrees) and bettas like 80 degrees. A few degrees to us is nothing, but major to a fish; the bettas will not like the lower temps that the plecos like and the plecos will not like the warmer water that a betta likes. Also, plecos are very "messy" (produce quite a bit of waste) and the filtration needs of a pleco tank will cause too many strong water currents and flows for a betta. Plecos like a strong water flow but bettas don't.

The platies may work with the betta. Usually, bettas are solitary fish. One betta would do quite well in a 10 gallon alone. Or, a better combination of tankmates for a betta in a 10 gallon tank could be a few small Corydoras catfish.

I have one in a tank with 2 BN and 11 julii corys and he is happier than I have ever seen him. He hated the small bowl he was in. I also have had him in the swords, different corys, neon tetras and common pleco and I have never had a problem with the betta being harrased. He just established he isn't goona be picked at and where he is the others leave him alone. Bud, my 5" BN even lets my betta sit in the openning of his football cave while he is in the bottom of it. As for the smaller BN, that is a different story. Bud won't let her near his cave.

If you do it just keep an eye on the fish and if the betta is getting picked at, and it wont take long for it to happen if it is going to, them get him out.

Platies can be housed fine with the betta, but as was said, the tetras won't and the catfish are too big for that tank.

An t-iasg said:
All these fish together in a 10 gallon tank are not compatible, and also, the tank would be very overstocked.

I would not keep bettas with neons either - I have seen a group of neons nipping a betta. Maybe in a much larger tank, you could have a school of neons and a betta, although the situation would still need to be watched. I wouldn't even consider it for a 10 gallon.

I would not put upside down catfishes in a 10 gallon tank regardless of the other tankmates. I think you are talking about a fish in the Synodontis genus. These fish get much too big for a 10 gallon, even though they are considered a dwarf synodontis.

A small pleco may be only small for a short time. Common plecos will outgrow a 10 gallon tank quickly. Plecos also like cooler water (76-78 degrees) and bettas like 80 degrees. A few degrees to us is nothing, but major to a fish; the bettas will not like the lower temps that the plecos like and the plecos will not like the warmer water that a betta likes. Also, plecos are very "messy" (produce quite a bit of waste) and the filtration needs of a pleco tank will cause too many strong water currents and flows for a betta. Plecos like a strong water flow but bettas don't.

The platies may work with the betta. Usually, bettas are solitary fish. One betta would do quite well in a 10 gallon alone. Or, a better combination of tankmates for a betta in a 10 gallon tank could be a few small Corydoras catfish.
....yeah both the pleco and the catfish are barely babies i plan to leave them there until they're big and then change them to a big tank in my living room.

I have a Betta and Neon Tetras together in a 5.5 gal tank and there are no issue at all. They keep to themselves and he pretty much ignores them. Even at feeding time, everything is cool. They don't play together, but they aren't fighting each other either.

Just to chime in, in my 20 gallon I have a betta, a school of neon and glolight tetra, GBR, cory cats and an SAE...no worries.

I had a male betta in a 10g with 8 neons and he never had shredded fins...never. The neons were actually intimidated by him...they hid alot. When I moved them to the 29g they were alot less timid.

And a betta's mouth isn't big enough to eat a 1 inch neon tetra. Fry maybe...but not a grown neon.

I'm going to jump in here and testify to my betta-neon success as well. I have a school of 6 in a 10 gal with a male betta and they've been living together in perfect harmony for 6 months now. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend putting a betta with anything... It could work for you I don't know...

I added my Betta to my tank with my other fish... I really thought he would be okay because he "acts" like the king of his tank and doesn't act afraid of anything... well turns out he is afraid of the gourami's I had (which the LFS told me were VERY peaceful). I had to take him right back out of the tank because his tail was being nipped at.... Maybe the other fish thought his tail was bloodworms or something... I don't know.

Squirt0170 said:
I really thought he would be okay because he "acts" like the king of his tank and doesn't act afraid of anything... well turns out he is afraid of the gourami's I had (which the LFS told me were VERY peaceful).

That's funny because I had an opposite problem. I ended up putting my powder blue dwarf gourami's back into the community tank because my Betta didn't just "act" like the king, he certainly proved it too. I guess it just depends on the betta.

well this is pretty funny weird....i after all ithough it was worth a shot and it looks like they got along well and sometimes i see the neons get together with the betta and copy his moves.....but it doesnt look like they want to nip on his fins.......well see what happens

Just my two cents. I've always put bettas in my community tanks without ever having any issues. I have a betta in my 10g with a huge pleco, no issues. They have since moved to the 46g tank and still no issues. I have even housed them with goldfish - still no issues. And the goldfish got much larger than him, and still no issues. I do think it has to do with your betta, but I've had many over many years and never had issues with any of them.
Good luck with your group.

Bettas belong in warm tanks. They can get along with goldfish great, but goldies are coldwater. To put them together means you are sacrificing the needs of one species to house them in the same tank.

Back
Top Bottom