Can you ID these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
I ran across several fish in the store yesterday, but I'm having a hard time trusting the "fish guy" to know what they are. Seems like the guy who orders (and knows) fish is never there when I am. Sorry for the lousy picture quality - all I had was my phone.

I really need a solid ID on these, so I can figure out whether or not I want to stock them, compatibility and environmental/food requirements.

The first one is tentatively ID'd as a Peacock Goby (Peacock Gudgeon written on the tank):

UnknownFish2.jpg

This next one may be another goby/gudgeon. The colors in the tank are much more striking, with a blue body and deep red/burgandy spots. It seemed to flare whenever I tried to get a picture though - the head isn't as big as it looks in the picture:

UnknownFish3.jpg

Finally, what seems to be a type of tetra - very striking markings on the fins. I'm especially interested in putting a school of these in my 125. The camera changed their body color from silver to red:

UnknownFish1.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide!

the bottom ones are pristella tetras i believe--especially if their bodies were silver.

serpae tetras are truly red, and their dorsal fins look more "ragged". they also don't have yellow on them i don't think. only black on their fins and/or white spots.

Thanks crazycat, I do believe you found a match. The yellow, black and white bands were VERY strong, stronger than any of the pristella pictures I've found so far. Nice to know they aren't a Serpae varient, because I don't need a school of fin-nippers with my angels (when I get them).

The first two look like Killies. The Tetras look like a cross between Serpae's with the coloration and the Pristellas with the fin markings.

Fishyfanatic said:
The first two look like Killies. The Tetras look like a cross between Serpae's with the coloration and the Pristellas with the fin markings.

The coloration came from the camera - they weren't at all red in the tank. They just came to the front of the tank when I was trying to get a photo, and were mostly backlit.

The botttom ones are indeed pristella tetras. Great community fish. They originate from Venezuela. They love schools so you are right on. These are on of my favorite Tetras.

Well, you guys have nailed the Pristella's, and I'm pretty positive on the Peacock Gudgeons. I _think_ the middle picture is a Purple Spot Gudgeon, but nowhere near sure. Either way, looks like I have found some new potential occupants for my tank (next week, I hope - BioSpira, do your thing!).

src said:
Well, you guys have nailed the Pristella's, and I'm pretty positive on the Peacock Gudgeons. I _think_ the middle picture is a Purple Spot Gudgeon, but nowhere near sure. Either way, looks like I have found some new potential occupants for my tank (next week, I hope - BioSpira, do your thing!).

Correct...Tateurndina ocellicauda, Morgurnda morgurnda, and Hyphessobrycon serpae.

Back
Top Bottom