Can You Trust Pet Store People With the Advice They Give You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxp123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering because it seems like they dont know what cycling even is (the ones I've seen).

Most people don't. For them, the fish is normally a means of profit. They'll sell a ten inch fish for a 10 gallon if it gets them more money. That isn't always the case, but do your own research before trusting anything they tell you.

Ill never trust them again, after finding this place. This is now my #1 place to go!!!!!!

depends on the store... large chains you usually can't. its how i ended up with a oscar and texas cichlids in a 20g... lfs are a little bit more trustworthy but not always

most of the time, no, but I do have one lfs where the owner has been keeping fish for 30+ years, and really knows his stuff, and in fact always asks to see pics of the progress of my current 55g build every time I stop in.

The one local fish store knows what cycling is but they discourage it for first time aquarium owners because most are to excited about getting fish in the tank. When they say "well you can" at this one it means it usually isn't a good idea. If they say "you will want to" it means ok this is a how I should do something. I know the employees had fish tanks or have fish tanks so I ask "if it was your tank would you________"? Then I get the right and educated answer it is my way of getting good advice.

When my dad set up our tank, petland gave him all sorts of bad advice and didn't give him any way to cycle it. Just told him chemicals to pour in there (not ammonia) and kept selling him stuff. Then, let him severely overstock the darn thing. Frustrating lol.

I have found the advice issue to go both ways, the best way to get advice is to research yourself. With technology now it's easy to do a quick google search for info while standing infront of a tank at the LFS. this is my tactic but I also have a good relationship with my LFS owner so he usually gives me good advice if he offers any at all. He knows my setups and knows I have an understanding of what is required so it's usually just a case of him verifying things with me.

Back
Top Bottom