Canister filter vs hob filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 gallon with oscars, would two hob filters work as well as 1 canister filter in keep my tank clean and healthy?I have a filatar canister now, but I've always a lot of problems with it, and although i have to clean it every 2 months, it is quite job! A hob filter even if had clean every week would be quick 5 min job.

Water changes are key. All the filters in the world wont do the work that a water change will.

Filters are only fornoxygebating the watet and converting ammonia into nitrate.

Water changes are the way to get rid of the nitrates.

A single oscar in a 90g tank will need at least a 50% change weekly. That size tank isnt really suitable for multiple oscars.

Mebbid said the important things here. Aquaclear 110 is a super popular HOB especially for owners of O's.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes i know i need the water changes, i do that regularly and test water for ammonia nitrite nitre ! My question, if i change my big canister filter for two large hob filters ( such as aquaclear 110s) would the do as good a job as my canister filter ? Or better i keep using a canister ?

Whats wrong with your canister? Getting 2 AC110 might not be a very good idea since they are a hit or miss as far as noise go.

IMO 2 ac 110's with 2 70% weekly water changes would work. How ever there is no room for error with 2 Oscars in a 90. Things can go bad fast.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My canisters faulty, pressure keep dropping way down, when open it up and put it back together works ok for 1 or 2 days then same again. And its become quiet noisy. I already put a new impeller. So either way i need to get a filter soon!

Yes i know i need the water changes, i do that regularly and test water for ammonia nitrite nitre ! My question, if i change my big canister filter for two large hob filters ( such as aquaclear 110s) would the do as good a job as my canister filter ? Or better i keep using a canister ?
As long as you arent seeing ammonia in a previously cycled tank barring other causes then youre not going to see a difference between filters.

My canisters faulty, pressure keep dropping way down, when open it up and put it back together works ok for 1 or 2 days then same again. And its become quiet noisy. I already put a new impeller. So either way i need to get a filter soon!

I highly suggest not getting 2 HOB
What I do is using a canister for bio filter. The HOB gets extra flow for mechanical filtering and fine filters. So the canister gets a cleaning once 2 months and the HOB gets cleaned twice a week.

I use a Fluval FX 6. Check them out, by far the best thing I have purchased for my tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I highly suggest not getting 2 HOB
What I do is using a canister for bio filter. The HOB gets extra flow for mechanical filtering and fine filters. So the canister gets a cleaning once 2 months and the HOB gets cleaned twice a week.
Couldnt you do the same with 2 hob filters? 1 for bio and 1 for polishing?

I too, suggest a fluval fx6. Quiet as quiet gets, lol. Plus it's 925gph.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Couldnt you do the same with 2 hob filters? 1 for bio and 1 for polishing?
You could. But you get far more bio in a canister.

Like others said, 90gal is limit for 2 Oscars. If you can get a 20 or 40 gallon sump, it would be ideal IMO.

I was looking at the fluval fx6, tho i dont know if its worth the $400 it cost here in Canada !

Oh.... It truly is. I know, I know, I didn't think so at first either. But 1 day after plugging it in and man its awsome. It's 399$ here too.

You could. But you get far more bio in a canister.

Like others said, 90gal is limit for 2 Oscars. If you can get a 20 or 40 gallon sump, it would be ideal IMO.

Yes, you get more bio media in a canister but you will never notice a difference in performance between 1lb of media vs 1000lb of media.

A sump is a good idea though.

I was looking at the fluval fx6, tho i dont know if its worth the $400 it cost here in Canada !

400 is too much for any filter.

It's branding, just like this plain white t shirt is for $120.

hip-hop-tee.jpg

Imho, spend the money on something that will benefit the tank more. A sump like Illusion pointed out would help you far far more than any special filter would.

But seriously. The fx6 for me was not abt branding. It was abt it having what I needed it to have at the rate it does it. It's the first fluval I've ever owned. But for what I'm doing in the tank it's on, it's perfect for me. I need the high rate of water turnover. Sums are wonderful, but not in my setup.

In my opinion, 2 quality HOB would be fine. Make sure you get solid ones like the AC. Really any filter (or combination of filters) that is reliable, has enough media space, and moves enough water will work.

Back
Top Bottom