Canister filter vs hob filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 90 gallon with oscars, would two hob filters work as well as 1 canister filter in keep my tank clean and healthy?I have a filatar canister now, but I've always a lot of problems with it, and although i have to clean it every 2 months, it is quite job! A hob filter even if had clean every week would be quick 5 min job.
You answered your own question IMO.:whistle:
The fluval is a great filter but you are using this for OSCARS.:facepalm:
Get 2 AQ110s and clean 1 every week when you do you LARGE water change!:dance:
Keep the canister going with both HOBS.(y)
2 AQs will cost less then $110.(You could line the whole back of your 90 for less then 1 FX6!)

You answered your own question IMO.:whistle:
The fluval is a great filter but you are using this for OSCARS.:facepalm:
Get 2 AQ110s and clean 1 every week when you do you LARGE water change!:dance:
Keep the canister going with both HOBS.(y)
2 AQs will cost less then $110.(You could line the whole back of your 90 for less then 1 FX6!)

I think he has got a very good point.

I'm in the same sort of boat as you eddy but for me a cannister will be more suitable for other reasons. Everyone's situation is different but as coralbandit pointed out I think this will work well for your situation. Your not having to spend so much on a single cannister filter when you already have one.

Only thing I will say that may be a downfall but it will probably hit you eventually, is the idea of running 3 filters and the electricity costs. If you're okay with that then this will be a realistic option for you.

How much does a fluval fx6 cost in the usa ?

Confused!!! Why is it necessary to clean the filters so often. I'm fairly new (less than 6 months) and I never even touched my filter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I paid just over $300 on Amazon, for the FX 6, 3 days for delivery to the door. Yes it may be about $100 more then the 406, have used them and although they did the job. They were just a pain to have to clean and restart. Mine would never prime and would leak until primed and running.

The FX 6 is plug and play, it self primes, self purges and has a Hugh amount of space inside for media. The water in my 80 gal is crystal clear always. I rinse the media every 3 months and change out the polishing pads. Have never had a leak, just plug it in and it does the rest. Runs quietly, can adjust the flow and there is endless possibilities to the media that can be used.

Yes it is more money the anything else but I wouldn't trade it for 3 of anything out there now. Have never ran a sump so can't say. But would think that it would be more work and by the time you buy all the equipment near the same cost.

Like I said before best money I have spent on my system and would definetly buy another one if I was to set up another tank. ???

I paid just over $300 on Amazon, for the FX 6, 3 days for delivery to the door. Yes it may be about $100 more then the 406, have used them and although they did the job. They were just a pain to have to clean and restart. Mine would never prime and would leak until primed and running.

The FX 6 is plug and play, it self primes, self purges and has a Hugh amount of space inside for media. The water in my 80 gal is crystal clear always. I rinse the media every 3 months and change out the polishing pads. Have never had a leak, just plug it in and it does the rest. Runs quietly, can adjust the flow and there is endless possibilities to the media that can be used.

Yes it is more money the anything else but I wouldn't trade it for 3 of anything out there now. Have never ran a sump so can't say. But would think that it would be more work and by the time you buy all the equipment near the same cost.

Like I said before best money I have spent on my system and would definetly buy another one if I was to set up another tank. ???

I couldn't have said it better. It's like driving a used car all the time(other filters), then you get a high end brand new model(FX6), it's tough to go back once you see the difference.

To quote a wise person. Best money I've spent in the hobby yet. Wouldn't trade it for 3 of another.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I couldn't have said it better. It's like driving a used car all the time(other filters), then you get a high end brand new model(FX6), it's tough to go back once you see the difference.

To quote a wise person. Best money I've spent in the hobby yet. Wouldn't trade it for 3 of another.

You guys know what... you're absolutely correct. You cant possibly have a happy, healthy, successful tank with clear water without spending $400 on a filter. Theres just no other way to do it.

So with that being said, im going to take my cheapo $40 filters on tanks full of fish that ive had for years and sulk because im obviously doing it wrong.

The mindset that you 2 have is a prevading thing in the salt water side of aquaria, not nearly as common on the freshwater side of things thankfully. The idea that you cant have a good tank without dropping thousands on it keeps far too many people from entering this hobby.

My Marineland 350s, Aqueons and even my TopFin filters keep my water sparkling, crystal clear too. Primes themselves, don't leak, and aren't loud by any means. I have no desire to own a canister filter, as the price heavily outweighs any benefit it may provide (marginal) over my inferior HOBs. Now once we get into big tanks (150 gallons+) things may change, but I would likely switch to a sump or wet/dry trickle in that situation. Until then, I'll continue using my cheap HOBs and enjoy minimal maintenance and more money in my pocket and reap the benefits a canister offers too.

The only thing that keeps a healthy clean tank is you. Water changes and properly maintaining your equipment.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You guys know what... you're absolutely correct. You cant possibly have a happy, healthy, successful tank with clear water without spending $400 on a filter. Theres just no other way to do it.

So with that being said, im going to take my cheapo $40 filters on tanks full of fish that ive had for years and sulk because im obviously doing it wrong.

The mindset that you 2 have is a prevading thing in the salt water side of aquaria, not nearly as common on the freshwater side of things thankfully. The idea that you cant have a good tank without dropping thousands on it keeps far too many people from entering this hobby.

100% correct. Could not have said it better

Confused!!! Why is it necessary to clean the filters so often. I'm fairly new (less than 6 months) and I never even touched my filter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
It depends on your filter and tank\tank load.
I clean my canister once every 2 months, but my HOB needs at least a weekly cleaning due to the polishing pad.

Dude, I don't think cheaper filters are bad at all. I use sponges & hob aquaclears mainly. I just purchased the fx6 because I need a ton of water change over for stingray. I swear by aquaclears hob's. No need to get upset. I was just agreeing that since I've purchased it, the fx6 has made me very happy I did. Why is everything abt money. I don't care what it costs. Does it do the job? And is it what I need? Your attitude towards us for saying we love a certain product is awfully non community like. I wasn't offending you. I wasn't pointing you out. In fact I only own 1 canister. It's the fx6. Had it for only 2 weeks now. I like it very much. Other than that it's all aquaclears hob's and sponges. Don't be an *** because we suggested something we like.

100% correct. Could not have said it better

I'm trading 30 discus I bred for a breeding pair of Leopold stingray. So it's quite the investment for me and I just wanted near 1000th water rate is all. I would never try and say oh.. hey.. Mebbid or anyone else is wrong for using something cheap. It's not abt price...

I'm trading 30 discus I bred for a breeding pair of Leopold stingray. So it's quite the investment for me and I just wanted near 1000th water rate is all. I would never try and say oh.. hey.. Mebbid or anyone else is wrong for using something cheap. It's not abt price...

What size tank do you have for those? If you're trying to cram them in your 180 they will need more room than that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I know that. I have a 300gal for them. And a 500 gal for later.

Also have a 1050 gal pond insert for them in the garage.

Found it on the farm but it fits in the garage. Lol.

I would like to apologize for being defensive earlier, guys.

I would like to apologize for being defensive earlier, guys.

No problem. My reason for posting what I did and quoting Mebbid is that so many people expect the filter to make it so they can do less work or even to replace water changes. I run 2 ac50's and an ac30 on a 55 with a 10" messy central American hybrid and my water is crystal clear. Nitrates stay under 20.
It has nothing to do with the filters, its the 70 to 80% water changes that get done every 5 days with the vacuuming and glass scrubbing. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with over kill and huge dollar items but they are not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom