Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Going to buy a canister filter am wondering if anyone had any opinions on a brand. I am currently looking at Fluval and Eheim. The filter will be for a 55g planted tank.

I've got a fluval 305 on my 20 gallon. Couldn't be happier with it. It's loaded with three bags of fluval biomedia.

Fluval 405. The biggest difference IMO is the intake strainer and tank rim adaptor. It also comes with an instructional DVD if you are not used to canisters.

Fishguy2727 said:
Fluval 405. The biggest difference IMO is the intake strainer and tank rim adaptor. It also comes with an instructional DVD if you are not used to canisters.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm gonna order either a 305 or 405 tonight. Problem is, a 405 might not fit in my compartment under the tank. Is the 305 suitable for a 48 gallon, or should I find room to upgrade to the 405? I'm replacing a HOB Tetra Whisper EX 70.

Thanks guys. I am probably going with the Eheim. I want to keep the outlet low and away from the surface, I think. Is it easy to make or find an adaptor for this? One more. :) If a filter says, for example it is suitable for tanks up to 55g, should I move up to the next filter if I have a 55g tank?

I have a Fluval 305 for my 20g long. Love it, plenty of flow. Just keep conscience of cleaning it

Amicus said:
Thanks guys. I am probably going with the Eheim. I want to keep the outlet low and away from the surface, I think. Is it easy to make or find an adaptor for this? One more. :) If a filter says, for example it is suitable for tanks up to 55g, should I move up to the next filter if I have a 55g tank?

I saw today in the Fosters&Smith website a Eheim canister filter in the outlet section..... Take a look, I don't even know if was a good price, but was in the clearance section!!!

I have a Fluval 305 for my 20g long. Love it, plenty of flow. Just keep conscience of cleaning it

Yes, you should. My fluval 305 is rated for 75g, I use it on my 20g like tnice.

I'd recommend the 2217 classic series for a 55. Eheims are rated for tank size by the filter media volume/biofilter capacity, but don't pump as much water as similar size fluvals. Lowering the spray bar is simple, just cut the plastic tube and splice it with a piece of hose as long as you want/need.

I've got the 2217 on my 75 gallon and love it
It gives a very strong current from the outlet I do believe it is rated for 120 gallons but can't recall for sure
Bought it on big ALS American site for just over 100

Back
Top Bottom