Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I am opening up an old can of worms here... So I am going to upgrade to a canister filter this week. But past the fact that I know that they are good, I don't know a thing about them I don't know brands or which media is best to put in them. I decided to do this because I am supposed to be able to hook it up to a pressurized co2 system for the best dilution into the water. I am sure some of you know what I am talking about even if I am still working on the learning curve! Here is what I have and what I want to have.
37g tall planted and I would like to move the water 7-8x an hour what filter would be best for me?

My Rena XPs and Fluvals have been very reliable. I recommend either brand.

Although I love my fluval canister filters and I recommend them the highest, the stock ribbed hosing would need to be replaced in order to use an inline diffuser. I never had a Rena XP but from the reviews, recommendations, and what appears to be the right hosing for inline equipment, I'd go with that.

I have both fluval and Rena's and am running a diy co2 reactor on my 26 planted bowfront, my personal preference is for the Rena's, more media capacity and easier maintenance IMO

Different people like different brands

The best thing to do is buy from your local fish store yes they maybe a little more expensive than if you buy it online but if you have any problems it's much more simple to take it into the store sort it out then get it fixed on the spot

If you buy online and have a problem you will need to ship it back then wait for them to ship you a new one which can take a week so a week you will be without a filter which isn't good

Different people like different brands

The best thing to do is buy from your local fish store yes they maybe a little more expensive than if you buy it online but if you have any problems it's much more simple to take it into the store sort it out then get it fixed on the spot

If you buy online and have a problem you will need to ship it back then wait for them to ship you a new one which can take a week so a week you will be without a filter which isn't good

I have bought all of my filters locally on craigslist. Ive only replaced simple things on them and even doing that didn't come close to the price of a new filter. Up to you but plenty of use have had success that way. Someone is selling a 306 on here you should make them an offer

I have bought all of my filters locally on craigslist. Ive only replaced simple things on them and even doing that didn't come close to the price of a new filter. Up to you but plenty of use have had success that way. Someone is selling a 306 on here you should make them an offer

Yeah CL pretty good I got my last xp3 for $40

It's call supporting your local shops if we all buy from the net we will lose all of our local shops

If you go into your local store and buy from them all the time and get on with them well they may come down on price a bit for you

I would pay $30-50 more in a shop for peace of mind it will probably cost you more than that if you need to ship it back

I buy all my food and dry goods online but why take the risk with things like heaters and filters

Although I'm a big advocate for supporting your LFS when you can, sometimes it can get tricky if you're not happy with something you bought or if it breaks down on you. If you choose to buy locally (which is great), just make sure to fully understand their return/exchange policy. I I've seen on numerous occasions that some of these LFS won't take a return and if there's an issue, they'll leave it up to you to deal with the manufacturer's warranty or something. That's why, personally, I choose to buy livestock, plants, layout material, and miscellaneous aquarium stuff from the LFS. I leave the big equipment like filters, heaters, and lights from online retailers or big box stores that I know I won't get screwed. I had a couple issues in the past and both Amazon and Dr. Fosters got me replacements at no extra cost to me. They'd pay for shipping the return..plus gave me credit for my inconvenience.

Brand new Rena xp2 is going back todayafter troubleshooting with tech support last week. I read bunch of favorable reviews, but the thing greeted me with major leak . IMHO the design should be as such thqt if the clips locked no gasket misplacement should be possible. And if I by stupidity I put it on wrong or wobbly design should make it so clips couldn't be locked .

Replaced by 306. Noise is minimal, the design looks though out. And priming handle was a very nice touch

It's call supporting your local shops if we all buy from the net we will lose all of our local shops

If you go into your local store and buy from them all the time and get on with them well they may come down on price a bit for you

I would pay $30-50 more in a shop for peace of mind it will probably cost you more than that if you need to ship it back

I buy all my food and dry goods online but why take the risk with things like heaters and filters

I'm sorry but if I can get a better deal locally on a big ticket item then I will do so. LFS are WAY overpriced when it comes to big equipment like canisters and aquariums etc. I buy my fish, food, and bio media locally that's it. I understand what your saying but it's "called" buying smart. Why get a used filter go to waste? Many people who deal high end aquatic merchandise on craigslist are good people and aren't trying to rip you off. I can tell just through simple text or email conversation if they are legit. The worst that has gone wrong for me is needing an Impellar shaft and a gasket that's it. I'm aware you have large tanks so yeah I'd buy new also. But for most of us buying local is easier, cheaper, and leaves room for more expenditures.

Brand new Rena xp2 is going back todayafter troubleshooting with tech support last week. I read bunch of favorable reviews, but the thing greeted me with major leak . IMHO the design should be as such thqt if the clips locked no gasket misplacement should be possible. And if I by stupidity I put it on wrong or wobbly design should make it so clips couldn't be locked .

Replaced by 306. Noise is minimal, the design looks though out. And priming handle was a very nice touch

The Rena's are prone to leakage and such but it can be easily replaced. It's really a shame because problem free they are excellent. I think the O rings that come with the filter are of worse quality than the maintenance packs you can buy. Something API should look into because they are losing sales.

Wow...in that case, I'd go with the fluval then. Just get some vinyl tubing from home depot if you want to install an inline diffuser.

I have never had a problem with any of my Rena XP 's. I have 5 or 6 running at the moment. Any company will produce a dud on occasion, but in this case it is the exception rather than the rule.

I just got a fluval 306 for a 2nd canister on my 140g tank. My other canister is a pennplax cascade 1500. They both work very well and are both quiet. Where the fluval wins hands down is when you prime them. The fluval takes all of a few seconds the cascade is a pain and takes forever. Both have valves to close so you dont lose prime for cleaning but the fluval has a better design. Both work well but if I even need another I will get a fluval. I read good things about eheim canisters and if your on a budget sunsun. Ive never tried them put a lot of people seem to like them also. Lots of options that work well. mostly seems to be personal preference on which is better.

After having my Fluval 406 for a year or so I would recommend it. Even if it means having to swap hoses. I run an inline heater and replaced the return side with vinyl hose at home depot, I also added a couple hose clamps just to be sure. Regardless, the <$10 to "fix" that issue left me with a very reliable and quiet (can't hear from 3 feet away) filter.

After having my Fluval 406 for a year or so I would recommend it. Even if it means having to swap hoses. I run an inline heater and replaced the return side with vinyl hose at home depot, I also added a couple hose clamps just to be sure. Regardless, the <$10 to "fix" that issue left me with a very reliable and quiet (can't hear from 3 feet away) filter.

I have the 306 using the stock hoses. However, the 106 I replaced the hoses with clear vinyl because I use lily pipes. Just curious what you're using on the end of the return hose? I'm just wondering if the return nozzle fits on the vinyl hose or if you're using something else (i.e. spray bar).

Ah, yes.. a DIY spray bar. I can't remember the thread but when doing my research I came across another outflow nozzle that would work with the 3/4 vinyl. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom