Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayBel2004

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have a recommendation for a canister filter for a 55 gallon? I've been looking into Fluval but they seem kind of pricey.

Fluvals are great canister filters ... a bit pricey yes ... but a worthwhile investment IMO. Plus, if you check on amazon.com and some of those sites, you'd be surprised at the decent prices you can get one for.

If you do ... consider either the Fluval 305 at minimum, but a 405 would be better. As for media ... I recommend 100% Poly-Fill (crafts stores, walmart) on the bottom tray for that extra mechanical filtration, Ceramic Rings for the rest of the trays. Fluval Biomax is what I use but some members use eheim ceramic rings ... I think.

Agreed. Fluval is definitely worth the investment. Go online and then ask your local guy to match. He may not like it, but he will appreciate you asking before going straight to online (online shoppers are killing local shops).

I would definitely go with the 405. For the price difference it isn't worth it to go with the 305. That said it can vary a little depending on stocking and other filtration, but most likely the 405 is your best option.

Agree with the polyester stuffing for the bottom tray and the other three filled with biomedia. I would go with Seachem Matrix for the biomedia though, more bioavailable surface area and (arguably) allows for denitrification.

I paid $238 I believe it was on Amazon for the Fluval Fx5. I have this on a 55 gallon that holds a red eared slider (aquatic turtle). The turtle creates massive waste in comparison to fish, and eats in the water making huge messes with veggies, etc, and his water stays crystal clear. While I would think the 305 would do a good job on the average 55 with just fish, for the price difference between the two on Amazon, I think it would be a shame to not get the 405. When I was researching before I got my Fluval, I also heard lots of good things about Rena and Marineland.

A Rena xp3 would also do a good job on that tank. I have used them and the ehiem 2215 and both work well. The Rena may be a little cheaper.

WayBel2004 said:
I guess the Fluval 405 is the way to go then. Thanks so much for your input.

Do some serious price searching on the Internet. I run a 405 on my 46 gallon and I paid around $120 for it from Amazon. My LFS sells them for like $240!

siva said:
Wow that's a really good price even for Amazon.

It took some searching and some patience, lol. I've also seem some that were out of the box but still brand new for under $100 on eBay.

i have the 305 on a 240 litre tank which i believe is 63 us gallons its working great no problems at all so far

Back
Top Bottom