Canister for a 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting a 29-gallon after the holidays. I'm on the lookout for canisters (sales in particular).

I just bought my first one for my 55 a few months ago, a Penn Plax Cascade 1000. It was on sale at Petco and I love it. I know Fluval is a favorite, too.

For a 29, with dwarf cichlids, what filter would you recommend? Stocking will be apistos, skirt tetras. Maybe an angelfish. (Advice on that has been mixed.) Heavily planted. Even with HOB filters I've always gone for significantly more filtration than I need. So far I'm considering...

Penn Plax Cascade 700 that does up to 65 gallons/185gph.
Fluval 206 does up to 40 gallons/206 gph.
Anything else?

I always have a ton of Petco coupons so I could get a deal on a Cascade.

If you like the 206 why not go with a 306. Much better flow rate. I got it for my 20 gallon and it works great. Got it on black Friday from petsmart for $80

I use all Fluval canisters but mine are big ones. I've used them since the 80's and they have never done me wrong.

I run a Fluval 404 on my 29 (picked up on Craigslist). A bit overkill, considering the stock output turned my tank into a whirlpool, so I had to build a PVC spraybar for it. I've got so much filter media for that little tank that I only need to clean it out every few months, and even then hardly anything looks dirty when I do tear it down..... quick rinse of the sponges, replace half of the filter floss, and back together in a few minutes.

You know you have too much flow when all your fish are cowering in the corner.....

You can always put a ball valve in the output line to adjust the flow, just never restrict the in-flow to a canister/pump.... it will cause cavitation and damage to the impeller.

I got it in my 20 gallon and it moves the plants enough to where its visible, nothing crazy. You can always point the nozzle towards the glass or get a spray bar.
Oh and you can control the flow with the aqua stop valve

Hey man, I have an eheim 2213 on my 29 gallon and it is perfect and works amazing. I highly recommend it, and it is silent in my sons bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom