Canister or sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discuss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, this is my first post and I haven't figured out how to set up my profile yet so I'm sorry for the lack of info. I'm currently running a 180g with mainly discus. I have 1 Rena xp2, 1 Rena xp4, and 1 HOB just as extra. I have a friend who has a 25g wet/dry sump with a overflow box and pump. I'm not familiar with these and I'm wondering if its a good idea to change or not? Would the sump be enough or would I still need my other filters? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Sumps are great because they give you a lot of options for filtration and help to hide some of the equipment that ends up in your DT (particularly heaters, thermometers, and the like). You could certainly build a sump that would eliminate the need to run your other filters, but since you have them already, I am not sure it would be worth it. It really comes down to your personal preference. As far as filtration advantages, other than a lot of flexibility on how you can setup the sump, I am not sure you would see huge advantages over your current method of filtration. Since you are keeping discus, I am assuming you are pretty diligent about cleaning your canisters and doing water changes, so any argument about canisters becoming nitrate factories should be able to go out the window.

Welcome to AA by the way!

fort384 said:
Sumps are great because they give you a lot of options for filtration and help to hide some of the equipment that ends up in your DT (particularly heaters, thermometers, and the like). You could certainly build a sump that would eliminate the need to run your other filters, but since you have them already, I am not sure it would be worth it. It really comes down to your personal preference. As far as filtration advantages, other than a lot of flexibility on how you can setup the sump, I am not sure you would see huge advantages over your current method of filtration. Since you are keeping discus, I am assuming you are pretty diligent about cleaning your canisters and doing water changes, so any argument about canisters becoming nitrate factories should be able to go out the window.

Welcome to AA by the way!

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm pretty good about the water changes I just wasn't sure if there was a big advantage to switching. He said 100 for the whole setup which is cheaper than any of my filters lol. But if there isn't any need to switch, I'd rather save the money.

I think the advantages are marginal over what you are currently running - and a benefit to not running a sump is noise - canisters are certainly quieter.

I think I'll stick with my canisters :) thanks for all your help!

Any time!

Post some pics of your discus when you get a chance in the show off forum. We always like to see folks' tanks, especially when they have discus in them :)

Ill definitely get some pics up there today after the water change. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom