Can't decide on a centerpiece fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudfrog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since my fire eel committed suicide I need to find another centerpiece fish. I'm looking for something that gets in the 8-12" range and is non schooling. I have a lot of ideas but I wanted to see what the community suggests. The tank is 125g, tons of filtration and will be housed with peaceful fish.. Rainbowfish, Clown Loaches, smaller catfish, etc. I've kept predators for years so I'm not looking to go that route with this tank.

How about a black ghost knife fish? Or maybe even a teacup stingray if you have the filtration.

I've had BGK's in the past and while I have the filtration for a stingray they will get way to big for an 18" wide tank.

I'm actually leaning towards snakeskin gouramis.

Mudfrog said:
Since my fire eel committed suicide I need to find another centerpiece fish. I'm looking for something that gets in the 8-12" range and is non schooling. I have a lot of ideas but I wanted to see what the community suggests. The tank is 125g, tons of filtration and will be housed with peaceful fish.. Rainbowfish, Clown Loaches, smaller catfish, etc. I've kept predators for years so I'm not looking to go that route with this tank.

What happened to your FE?

It swam up the outlet on my FX5 and got stuck.. He was dead when I got home from work.

img_2173118_0_d058ec57adcc1f73f5f968e971c5708a.jpg

What about. Red/pink tail chalceus? I got one yesterday and he looks so cool! I know they are predatory but it shouldn't predate on your stock depending how small your catfish are going to be?

Sengal bichir definetly. I had mine from the start with clown loaches never had a problem with them. Ive gotten mine to be quite active in the past month

I think the banded Leoporinus would look good. And maybe a pair of Blood Parrots and a larger Algae Eater.

I'm actually thinking about snakeskin gourami. I've kept a lot of bichirs in the past and I want something new.

I'm actually thinking about snakeskin gourami. I've kept a lot of bichirs in the past and I want something new.

I had never heard of them before and just googled it. The males have wonderful color. They seem ot max out at about 6 inches in captivity?

I had never heard of them before and just googled it. The males have wonderful color. They seem ot max out at about 6 inches in captivity?

They say 8-10".. In a 125g they "should" easily hit 8".

San Raphael Catfish said:
Sorry about your eel. It always amazes me how they can get where you don't want them or would even expect.

SRC <><

Mine got sucked into an overflow for about one hour but luckily I saved him and he is still alive.

Sorry about your eel. It always amazes me how they can get where you don't want them or would even expect.

SRC <><

Yea I have never heard of them swimming up the outlet of a canister filter, only HOB's. The FX5 moves a decent amount of water so he must have been swimming like crazy. You would have thought it would push him back out.

Back
Top Bottom