Can't get rid of ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently found ich in my tank. I found it when it completely covered my knifefish, i was on vacation so I wasn't able to start treating it at an early stage so it had gotten pretty bad. I've raised the temp to 84° and been treating with medicine for 3 days and there's no signs of it getting better. I've usually had no problem treating ich, even in its late stages but for some reason I can't treat this. Any help or ideas on what to do will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The temperature to kill ich is 86 degrees. It's also generally ill advised to increase heat and treat with meds at the same time.

What meds are you using?

I hope this helps, it has always worked for me. This is a great article to understanding the problem.

Raising the temp to 86 does nothing but stress the fish, 80 degrees is the optimal temp. to aim for. Also increase your oxygen in the tank, put in an extra air stone if needed because the heat will decrease the oxygen levels. Also clean everything including the substrate in particular, even the filter and do at minimum 50% water change daily.

I also over feed my fish to keep them healthy during an ick outbreak. You will be cleaning the tank anyway and the increase in food will not harm the water parameters because you will be cleaning the leftovers out.

I only have ick when I buy new fish, so I am a huge fan of quarantine tanks.

[FONT=&quot]The life cycle of ich[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The life cycle of Ichthyophthirius is complicated but very important in understanding the treatment and prevention of ich. Once the ich protozoan attaches to the side of the fish, it begins feeding on the skin and tissue causing irritation. The fish's body begins to wall off the parasite to try to limit its damage. The protozoan continues to move around in the cyst feeding and growing, while the body continues to further encapsulate and wall it off. This encapsulation by the body is one of the reasons that ich is so difficult to treat during this stage of the disease because medications cannot penetrate through the wall of the cyst to reach the ich parasite. During this stage, the ich protozoan is called a trophozoite. The trophozoite eventually matures and is termed a "trophont." It will burst through the cyst wall and then fall to the bottom of the aquarium. It then begins to divide into hundreds of new ich-infecting units called tomites. This stage is very temperature-dependent within its capsule, with the fastest replications occurring at warmer temperatures near 78-80°F. At optimum temperatures, the replication will be completed in about 8 hours. At lower temperatures, the replication takes longer making the treatment time for eradication much longer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once the replication is complete, the trophont bursts and releases the newly-formed tomites into the water. The tomites are motile and swim around the tank searching for a fish to attach to. Once they attach to a fish, the cycle will start over again. It is during this stage that ich is most susceptible to treatment. Many of the available medications will kill the tomites, thereby stopping the cycle of ich in your tank. It should be noted that these tomites will only survive for 48 hours, if they do not find a fish to attach to. These tomites will also attach to plants, filter material, etc. Depending on the water temperature, the whole cycle can take from 4 days to several weeks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Treating Ick

Now that we understand the life cycle of freshwater ich, many of our treatment recommendations make more sense. Because the life cycle is temperature-dependent and the ich can only be killed in the tomite stage, we will want to raise the tank temperature to 78-80°F over 48 hours to speed the cycle of tomite formation and release. Theoretically, if the cycle takes four days to complete at this temperature, then the treatment should be complete in 4 days. On the other hand, if the temperature is much colder, for example at 60°F, the treatment would need to last for several weeks or longer.

Since we understand that we cannot kill ich while it is on the fish, you must assume that the entire tank is now contaminated with ich and must be treated.

Remember, we are treating the tank, not the fish, so all effective treatments are designed to kill the trophite form of the disease while it is in the tank. The mature ich organisms that cause the problems on the fish do not die from treatment, but fall off in a couple of days during their normal life cycle and then their offspring die from the treatment in the water.

Raising the temp to 86-88 will cure ich. Gradually raise it though, and after a couple of weeks and a few water changes, if there are no longer any signs, gradually lower the temp back to normal. It will not stress fish if done properly, and it will eradicate ich. No need for meds. You will need an air stone or allow the water level to lower so the return on your hob or spraybar will create splashing. No need to clean the filter unless it's particularly dirty.

The mature ich organisms that cause the problems on the fish do not die from treatment, but fall off in a couple of days during their normal life cycle and then their offspring die from the treatment in the water.

This.

Specifically, the heat prevents the reproduction of the parasite, which is why medications are not necessary with heat treatment.
There is also a combination of heat+ salt, but I am not familiar with specifics.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The temperature to kill ich is 86 degrees. It's also generally ill advised to increase heat and treat with meds at the same time.

What meds are you using?
This is the best way IMO. Keep the temp at 86 for 2 weeks. Aerate. Ditch the meds.

If you do not notice an improvement within 4-5 days, then you may have "Velvet". Velvet has smaller cysts but they appear more numerous.

Worked for me also. Gradually increase temp to 86. I did it for ten days had a great air stone and the filter return was stirring the water. Still ick free and I did it the natural way

Kim

Back
Top Bottom