Cardinal Tetras!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fantasmic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there! I went to the fish store today and bought some (2) cardinal tetras. I have a ten gallon tank being set up for them but for now, are in a 5 gallon. I was wondering how many would be good and what other fish would be good, for tankmates in a 10gal. Thanks!!

Ohh one more question. About how much would you say cardinal tetras usually go for? Don't wanna be getting ripped off!

-Kimmy

you should get more... they like to be in groups. get a bottom feeder of some sort, like cories. good tank mates, interesting to watch

Agreed with medge, cories are the way to go.

You should have at least 6 cardinals. However, there is a problem. By the time you are done adding fish 6 cardinals and 3-4 cories, you are overstocked. With excellent maintenence it is possible though. Just keep on top of your water changes.

I payed $3.99 each for my cardinals! Actually, that was the price if I bought one or two--they were 4 for $15.

Quick question for you...how long has your tank been up and running? Cardinal tetras do better with an established tank--at least 6 months.

I'm getting the 10 gallon tomorrow for a really good deal too. I'll start running it then.

My tetras costed me $2.99 each and they are in great condition! Very pretty too!

-Kimmy

I would recommend transferring most of the water from the 5 gallon into the 10. Also, if you aren't using the substrate from the 5 gallon, put the substrate in a filter bag (available in your lfs) and stick it in the 10 to "seed" the bacteria colony and reduce cycling times.

Good Luck!

Welcome to AA!

I will second Shawmutt here and recommend against cycling a tank with cardinals, since at least around here, they tend to be somewhat delicate, and a bit expensive. If possible, keep the 2 in the 5gal for now and fishless cycle the 10gal, and then when it is ready you can move them over and get some mates - they will do better if you have more of them, as mentioned.

Good luck, and I really applaud your choice of fish -cardinals are one of my alltime favorites.

i never knew cardinals were so expensive. here their as much as the neons or 1.50

Yeah, around NY, we can be lucky and get them for as little as $1.50 or $1.99. Around here, these don't survive particularly well. The shipping process tends to weaken their immune system, so when they're introduced into a tank, the tank must be fully cycled and stable.

I'd keep them in the 5 for now. Sorry to be a killjoy.

I'd get a school of 6-8 for a 10 gallon.

Oh yeah of course! Fishless cycle, definatly. I agree, they're some of my favorite colored fish and I'll probably get a few more for the 10gal. Thanks! :D

yeah, i have a 10g tank about 3 weeks into a fishless cycle and i want 3 corys and maybe 6-7 cardinal tetras =]

Back
Top Bottom