Carey's 60g Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's 24 inches deep as well, I was concerned with penetration but it seems it will be just fine. :)

Went rock hunting today and picked up two medium size pieces of dominican live rock. Hoping to be able to make some type of arch or something like that. LOL Just gotta get moving to rockscape, so busy over here and world of warcraft is calling my name! haha...

More updates to come!

Ok, so been messing with the rock all day. LOL These are some pictures of where I'm at. Any comments, suggestions or criticsms? I'm open to suggestions.....hehe

img_1905840_0_f1558aa65aae01a04ce263aaf8603da3.jpg

img_1905840_1_526ebdb45043ae3f4528d9fd26b00c53.jpg

I'm kinda leaning towards keeping it like this. :) Might change a little bit as I add corals but I think I'm gonna keep what i have basically. I wanted something completely different but the rocks are just the wrong shapes and sizes to get a reaching rockscape with an arch. Being as my firefish does not come out of the largest rock in the biocube i will be adding that one as well at some point. I'd guess i have 50+lbs of rock, most of it live.

Which leads to my next question....When should I move livestock over? I've been testing the water and it's 0 across the board, ph is good too....I was thinking adding the corals first and then a couple fish here and there. maybe start with the clowns? lol I've also pretty much decided to put the clowns in the 60g rather than the 90g fowlr.

So what say you my wonderful fish friends? When should I add stuff? I'm dying to get something going on....hehe..

thanks everyone for reading and commenting! I sooo appreciate it!

Yep, I would keep it too. :)

It is so hard to know when to add fish. Maybe you could start with a Clown Goby since they have a small bioload, then just test everyday to make sure all is well. :) Not sure if they are as hardy as the Clownfish though....

The poor tiny fish are gonna be SOOO lost in this big cube. lol I'd be surprised if i could catch a glimpse of the clown gobys every day. I figured the clowns as first since they are medium sized, hardy and overall easy. hehe...

I think I am gonna move some corals in tonight, they are mostly going on the sandbed since I need to acclimate them to the led's. Still trying to get more sandbed real estate, might have to move the rock in the center out. I already moved like 10lbs out and put it into the 20g rimless.

Really trying to get this tank right. I've setup so many tanks it seems and this one is supposed to be a culmination of all my knowledge and know how. My masterpiece if you will. LOL So don't mind me if I keep asking for opinions, i really want the input. Even if it's not what I want to hear. Some people are afraid to speak their mind, in this thread, PLEASE say what you think. I may not change something but I will give it consideration. Always looking for a better way/look whatever....rofl

Thanks guys, I'm still sitting next to the tank and debating what to do next.
\

I see what you are saying with the Clowns. And since they are related to Damsels, you know they will be hardy!

The tank will be like a mansion for your tiny fish! I think it may end up being fun though not being able to see them all the time. You could make a game out of it, pick a fish and look for it! :lol:

haha...we do that now with the red wrasse. he is always under the sand it seems so it's like "hey, LOOK the red wrasse" when he makes an appearance lol.

There are so many nooks and crannies for the tiny fish too, i had counted on making a cave and overhang but between that and the holes in the rock they will be all but invisible. I'm guessing I'll see the clowns, the citron goby and the dragonets everyone else will be in the rock.

That brings me to my next thought. How many chromis? i was thinking 5, this tank is awful tall and there should be plenty of mid water swim room. Also thinking of getting a chalk bass. Other than the chromis and bass not sure what I'm gonna add.

I can envision a nice school of five Chromis, especially under those LEDs. I think that is a good number.

The same kind of thing happens with my Lawnmower Blenny as your Red Wrasse. He is always hiding so when I see him it is very exciting! LOL.

For shrimp I will have the cleaner I have already and the 2 peppermints that might still be in the biocube, havent' seen them in awhile. lol I wanted to add a mated pair of fire shrimp, my LFS gets them in here and there. I think that'd look really awesome. :)

Back
Top Bottom